• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cocktail Bars in Thailand

Chris Amirault

I'm wondering if there are any cocktail bars worth visiting in Thailand -- Bangkok, Hua Hin, and Chiang Mai specifically. I'll gladly bring along a stash of interesting/wacky items for barter if so. If not, I'll settle for hawker foods instead of night caps.

Thoughts?

Chris Amirault

eG Ethics Signatory

Sir Luscious got gator belts and patty melts

Now I take it right that you're looking for "cocktails" in particular, not just pleasant bars?

I believe Indus was trying to do some new things with cocktails, with a South Asian slant. But that was a year ago or more.

Syn in the Raffles was also trying to lift the profile on mixed drinks. I'd met an Israeli mixologist who was consuling there and at Indus about two years ago who was working on their skills and repertoire.

I've had decent martinis in Q, but good luck keeping them from being spilled on you. And then you have to deal with the ladies with big hands and deep voices.

Aqua at the Four Seasons courtyard is very comfortable, and they're good with martinis.

Oh, and just because you have to, if it's not raining, do Vertigo on the Banyan Tree's roof. The cocktails are competent (at least the martinis) and the view is spectacular. I try to get a couple of drinks in there every now and then.

Hmmm, there must be more......