• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sugar coating for nuts

thegreatdane

My first question is the sugar coating a crystallized coating or a "candy" glaze? I make a glazed walnut during the holidays that never sticks together once they're cooled. I also make a somewhat crystallized coated nut using a meringue as a base, then baked.

But before I go into technique It'd be good to know how you want those nuts sugar coated. I'd be willing to share either recipe/technique once you need is known.

"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

My first question is the sugar coating a crystallized coating or a "candy" glaze? I make a glazed walnut during the holidays that never sticks together once they're cooled.  I also make a somewhat crystallized coated nut using a meringue as a base, then baked.

But before I go into technique It'd be good to know how you want those nuts sugar coated. I'd be willing to share either recipe/technique once you need is known.

It's a candy glaze, like glass, that coats the nuts. After a few days, it turns almost into syrup, it gets so sticky. How did you glaze your walnuts, and how did you use meringue?

Thanks.

Oh duh. Should have read the title of the thread! aack.

My recipe is pretty straight forward. 4 cups of nuts, 6 cups of water. Boil water, blanch nuts for two minutes, drain. While water is boiling, heat about 2 inches of vegetable oil (or a good nuts oil) in a pan to 350 degrees F. Drain nuts and place in bowl. Add 1/2 cup of granulated sugar. Roll nuts in sugar until sugar dissolves. Once sugar is dissolved (it cannot still be grainy) add 2 cups of the nuts to the oil and allow to fry for about 5 minutes or until golden brown. The nuts will continue to cook while they are cooling. Once golden brown remove from oil with a slotted spoon into a sieve. I have a flat metal sieve that I use for these as they cannot be drain onto anything paper as the nuts will stick to it (learned that the first time I made them!) and be a mess. Fry the remainder of the nuts. Add slat to the nuts once they are cool and package into cellophane bags. You can also put them in plastic or glass jars for sales or gifts.

Note: please make sure to keep your oil hot. If it cools or the nuts do not get hot enough while cooking you'll have the stickiness problem.

The meringue version is taking the nuts and rolling them in mixture, then baking it in the oven to dry out the meringue. Recipe:

3 egg whites

2 tablespoons water

3 cups walnut halves

2 cups pecan halves

1 cup whole unblanched almonds (or any combination of the three varieties or just one nut)

2 cups sugar

2 tablespoons ground cinnamon

1 teaspoon salt

1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

1 teaspoon ground allspice

1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

1. In a mixing bowl, beat egg whites and water until frothy. Add nuts; stir gently to coat. Combine the remaining ingredients. Add to nut mixture and stir gently to coat. Spread into two greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. baking pans. Bake, uncovered, at 300 degrees F for 20-25 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring every 10 minutes. Cool. Store in an airtight container.

I usually add a bit more of the sugar mixture into the meringue as I like mine to have more coating than just a slight coat. Either way they are good. Some people add other spices and you can do a spicy hot version instead of the holiday spice mix also.

Hope this helps. Of course, I have listed home kitchen recipe, but they can be made in larger quantities easily.

Edited by tmgrobyn (log)
"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly."

Must've been dave 8-)  this is the first year in a decade i'm not going to PMCA!

It was indeed Dave. I was surprised not to see your name on the list this year,

Spoke with the guy from Centerchem today at the PMCA.  He said one of the shellac based products is the way to go to seal them.

I called Dave at Centerchem last week and left a message, which was returned by a lady who promised to get back to me. We'll see what they say.

I like your recipe for fried walnuts. All that oil might prevent moisture. Have you kept some around long enough to know if rancidity is a problem?