• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Marigold Kitchen

davidbdesilva

I have been to Marigold Kitchen under each of the three chefs they have had: Steven Cook (who still owns the place), Solomnov (Sp?) and now Erin O'Shea just recently. The latest menu change I thought a bit odd, with its Southern influence, but I will say we enjoyed our meal very much last week. It is very much more casual (and I believe less expensive) than under the first two chefs, both of which brought a heavily French influence to the menu. Our recent meal consisted of the following:

Appetizer: Turnip Soup with Virginia Ham and Apple Biscuit ($6)

Entrees: Flounder with Basmati Rice, Roasted Scallions and Lemon-Glazed Sweet Potatoes ($20)

Cured Pork Tenderloin with Collard Greens, Pickled Peaches and Ham Hock Vinaigrette ($)17

Dessert: Banana Bread Pudding with Coffee Ice Cream ($7)

Everything was quite delicious. The Turnip soup on the cold and rainy night was perfect and very tasty. The flounder and pork were equally tasty and we split the bread pudding, which was also very good. It was good to have La Colombe coffee as well. The Sancerre we brought went well with everything. Total cost? With tax and tip we spent $77, very much worth it. They have painted the walls a warm red (no longer the odd and cold lime green). Service is still excellent and Jonathan Marker is still aptly managing. While I have to admit that I miss the previous style of cooking (Solomnov being my favorite), Marigold Kitchen is still a very worthwhile place to go for a very good meal at an excellent price point.

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."

Thank you. I knew what I wrote was wrong but couldn't remember the correct spelling. That price-fixe is hard to beat in my book, thanks for reminding me.

Edited by davidbdesilva (log)

"Nutrirsi di cibi prelibati e trasformare una necessita in estasi."