• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Soft chocolate Alex Stupak style.

Tri2Cook

The recipe for Sam Mason's version with carrageenan and locust bean gum is readily available but has anybody managed to work out the Alex Stupak version with agar and gelatin sheets?

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

The recipe is in a back issue of Pastry Art & Design.

I'll try to go thru mine and see which one but, I'm pretty sure if you search here in this forum you'll find the topic discussed.

I remember it had a fair amount of sorbitol and Alex himself wrote in to correct the PA&D recipe as far as heavy cream goes.

2317/5000

Thanks for that information. The PA&D site doesn't have any information on ordering back issues and several differently worded searches here in the forums didn't yield any information but I'll keep looking. I'd like to give it a try a compare it to the Sam Mason version which I've already done.

It's kinda like wrestling a gorilla... you don't stop when you're tired, you stop when the gorilla is tired.

So HUGE thanks to tan319 for digging that up for me. I'm going to work with it but you weren't kidding about the sorbitol. Wow. Is there something related to his recipe that makes the sorbitol necessary when it's not used at all in the other version? I'm not particularly opposed to using sorbitol but it's not something I keep on hand or use normally.

I think the sorbitol makes it more pliable, remember , it gets twisted & arced, at least in that edition.

If you just need a bit of it (sorbitol) a wedding cake supply store may carry small amounts.

I have some cool lollipop/candie recipes from El Bulli '98/'02 that uses it also.

RE Different versions: Stupak/Mason, all of those guys hit stuff in different ways, to achieve the same results?

Good Luck!

2317/5000