• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spice Rack Suggestions

Jack Sprat

Alright, so here's my situation. I have a standard, rotating 16-jar spice rack that sits on my counter completely unused. Then I also have a cluttered cabinet full of spice jars from whole foods and trader joes that are all just slightly larger than the spaces in the spice rack.

If I poured the spices from their original jars into the spice rack jars, there would still be about 1/4 of the jar remaining. Too much to waste.

I don't want to start buying bulk spices b/c I typically find them to be much more likely to be stale and flavorless (on a slight tangent, I never understood why anyone would take good coffee beans and put them in a huge open bin). But it's quite frustrating not being able to use the spice rack.

I'd like to buy a new spice rack that doesn't come with bottles so that I can just load all the WF/TJ spice jars in. Anyone know of any racks like this that definitely fit these bigger bottles?

Edited by Jack Sprat (log)

I don't know about thet ype of rack you are talking about, but my daughter has done an amazing thing in her little floating house. She bought 3 dozen super small mason jars, they seem to hold about 1/2 cup. She screwed the tops into the bottom (underneath) of her upper kitchen cupboards. She emptied all the miscellaneous containers of spices cluttering up her small cupboard space. Then filled and labelled all the jars and then screwed them into the tops. They are handy and don't take up any space at all on her counter or in her cupboards! Everyone that goes to her place comments on what a good idea it was. It's just like how my ex-husband used to store his hardware bits and pieces in his workshop!

Does it have to go on the counter? If you have wall space, you can buy coated wire shelves of varying depths at the hardware store. That's what I used in my previous kitchens (I don't have the wall space in my current kitchen, or I'd still be using them).

Here's my "spice rack" in my last kitchen:

gallery_7258_2197_39748.jpg

I used shelves about 2 inches deep, but I also had some deeper than that for other uses.

I store mine in a small set of plastic drawers (take a spice bottle with you to check drawer depth).

Small stackable drawers would probably be even better, if you can find a type that suits you. Glass bottles are heavy, and plastic is light, so small drawers balance better than large ones!

On top of the drawers I put spices that I use every day, the shallow drawer takes bulky items in small bags (such as cinnamon sticks or gardenia pods, dried chilis etc), and small bottles fit in a deeper drawer - write names on lids and store alphabetically for quick access.

This system works well for me, because the spices are not exposed to a great deal of light, and they are at waist-chest height and easy to see.

Excess stock goes in a cardboard box, away from light. I would freeze them if I had space.

I, like Helen, also use a small set of plastic drawers. I think I got them in the office section of a Target or Walmart. The set I have holds6-8 1/2 cup jars (spice islands, or other supermarket brands), One drawer holds about 16 1/4 jars from Penzey's and the final one has things I have bought by the bag from Penzeys or other places. There are still a few odds and ends floating around , but not enough to buy another set of drawers.

Pretty much like this:

Plastic Storage Drawers