• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Korean outing

Double 0

I don't know if Korean food has been sugested for a Egullet dinner. There's a place in Tappan NY called Asia Gardens that I've always found very good. They have BBQ tables and interesting things from the kitchen. They also have Sushi(just ok). The owners and the waitresses are always very nice and really take care of you. They don't have private room, but the place is divided into 3 rooms. I've seen groups of 10 or 12 eating so I'm sure this wount be a problem. I'm sure we can work something out with them. Then there's always Lighthouse in Fairveiw. They don't have the selection and seem to be more into molten tofu soups :biggrin: than BBQ.

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

I lke Tappan 00. BBQ sounds good, and it's pretty darn close to Dumont.

I'm free Mondays (starting next week) as well as Tuesday and Thursday evenings. I can also occasionally sneak out on a Sunday. If there's anything I can do to help organize, please let me know.

Nick :smile:

Lighthouse's excellence at the simple stuff (Galbi, Dumplings, Tofu soups) is close to unequaled... assuming that's what you stuck to, I mean. More sophisticated? You could try Koreana, in Fort Lee. It's fairly new, but its the same owners of two previous restaurants of that name (in Paramus and later in Franklin Lakes, I think) which both were 3-Star places in the Jersey papers.

Tappan, NY? I wouldn't normally think of that as a likely location for excellent Korean, but sometimes excellence flourishes outside of the obvious places. Do they get a reasonable Korean clientele up there?

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"

Lighthouse's excellence at the simple stuff (Galbi, Dumplings, Tofu soups) is close to unequaled... assuming that's what you stuck to, I mean.  More sophisticated?  You could try Koreana, in Fort Lee.  It's fairly new, but its the same owners of two previous restaurants of that name (in Paramus and later in Franklin Lakes, I think) which both were 3-Star places in the Jersey papers.

Tappan, NY?  I wouldn't normally think of that as a likely location for excellent Korean, but sometimes excellence flourishes outside of the obvious places.  Do they get a reasonable Korean clientele up there?

Absolutely. Generally when I go with my family on Sunday night, we are the only Non-Korean people there. There's anouther Korean restuarant in Clouster(Cresskill?) thats more upscale and has private rooms upstairs. I think the food is about the same as Asia Garden but the place is much nicer looking. I can't think of the name. Anybody know what I'm talking about? Its near Peking Duck House.

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

Don't knowthe name but it's on Piermont road in Closter.

Nick

Hae Woon Dae is the name of the place. Its pretty good but rachel and I prefer Light House and Koreana.

Jason Perlow, Co-Founder eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters

Foodies who Review South Florida (Facebook) | offthebroiler.com - Food Blog (archived) | View my food photos on Instagram

Twittter: @jperlow | Mastodon @jperlow@journa.host

I have to agree with Jason. I've been to at least two of those three places on Piermont Road, and was never that impressed. Korean food, to me, is so simple in its goodness that most attempts to doll it up and fancify it usually don't impress me--especially when the same or better food is available down the road a bit for 2/3rds the cost.

Not that I'm saying that upscale Korean won't work, just that it has to be more than the same food with more expensive surroundings.

Jon Lurie, aka "jhlurie"