• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Setting Up a Stage in a Kitchen

chefteddy

I find the best method is to call, tell them what you are looking for and offer to drop off a resume in person. Try to set up a time to drop off the resume so the chef will be there and available so you can have just a few moments to give them your pitch.

Sean

Thanks a lot Sean.

So what should be in my pitch? My experience, qualifications, favourite foods, influences, travel etc?

Should I state straight away that I don't mind working for free?

Cheers

Teddy

Can you be a bit more specific on what type of stage you are trying to set up? Is it a kitchen in your city or are you moving somewhere just for the opportunity? Are there any language barriers? Do you know anyone in the kitchen? Is this a well regarded kitchen where stagists are throwing themselves at the opportunity?

From experience, I remember trying to do my CIA externship at L'Orangerie back in the days and Ludo was the biggest ass in the world over the phone so sometimes phones don't work so well!

Don't mind working for free? You working for free is a given. I've only seen one restaurant that pays their stages and it was because their insurance company required it. That shouldn't even factor into the conversation. Just assume you're working for free.

Just tell them the truth, but keep it succinct. Tell them where you've been, where you are, and where you want to go. Somewhere in there should be a reason why you want to stage with them. But like I said, be succinct. I doubt they have time to hear your life story including your favorite meal to cook at home.

Having just been approached by a potential "crossover" (aka tech person who is passionate about baking), I definitely concur about needing a pitch, other than, "I'm passionate about baking..." For me, having just opened, we can't take on the additional responsibility of teaching somebody the craft. Chefs like me are looking for someone wanting not to do the "passionate, creative stuff" we're looking for the grunts, the ones willing to sit and scoop muffins for hours on end, consistently and efficiently.

To me, it seemed better to redirect this person to a larger company, where there's more chance to do simple tasks, so it's important to really research the companies you're interested in pursuing to know what they're all about, and how they do business, and most importantly, how you would fit into the occasion.

Stephanie Crocker

Sugar Bakery + Cafe