• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

1 hour ago, Jim D. said:

Does anyone have any knowledge of a good almond oil?  Can I get away with a small amount of water-based flavoring in a gianduja?

No,  and I don't think so.  But!  Maybe you could try those bitter almond kernels or bitter apricot seeds that are supposedly healthy and cancer-fighting but may contain arsenic and kill you if eaten in excess (I don't recall if we debated their merits on this forum before).  But a few should be fine, especially if heated to neutralize the poison ... 😉  I believe they are the same bitter almonds used to flavor almond extract.

pastrygirl

pastrygirl

49 minutes ago, Jim D. said:

Does anyone have any knowledge of a good almond oil?  Can I get away with a small amount of water-based flavoring in a gianduja?

No,  and I don't think so.  But!  Maybe you could try those bitter almond kernels or bitter apricot seeds that are supposedly healthy and cancer-fighting but may contain arsenic and kill you if eaten in excess (I don't recall if we debated their merits on this forum before).  But a few should be fine, especially if heated to neutralize the poison ... 😉