• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

rotuts

rotuts

here is my St.P-CB project so fat :

i got three packages of Point from S&S  ,   @ 1.47 / lbs.    total cost :  $ 24.   savings $ 29.27

CB1.thumb.jpg.4aa7bc0378a4a6c06816ca197cd727ff.jpg

some packs have a lot or thick red goop . note on the L.  on the R  very little goop.   wonder why

the cuts looked very decent turned over out of the bag , they pack them so the fat cap is easy so see, under the colored opaque front 

label.   But Ive been a student of CB for a while , and you can guess what the fat cap is like from the side.  if the fat on the top

is hard fat , they will be more of it than soft fat for some reason.

Ive learned to go early in the week to the store and take a few minuets looking over the selection.    later in the week ++ sale the quality

deteriorates

and they have run out of the O'Donnell's  brand and finished up the sale on a far inferior brand in the past.  the O'Donnell sells out

Im guessing its a S&S brand.

CB2.thumb.jpg.d02c3fb60879b2cec32209ab83dd4606.jpg

each tranche was trimmed of its fat cat , and cut into three hunks , and bagged.   the above weighed  in at 1.2 kg.  the other packs are similar looking

waste fat maybe 250 gms ?

CB3.thumb.jpg.662637c2dceff664273f4f56f06c4e11.jpg

this is a 30 qt Igloo cooler  I have had for a while but never used.  I used to use the SousVide Magic for years and years for large SV projects

but elected to retire it , but keep it and its matching large cooler just in case.   In years past Ive done 8 ++ bags in that system

I don't have a lot of room in my downstairs freezers , and realized i like TurkeyBreast and TurkeyThigh  SV'd  more.

especially now that Ive gotten the iPot Stock system for the turkey scraps down pat !

I plan on a bit different cook  this year :   130.5 for 24 H , then 135 for another 24 H and check

if all things look and taste good in two days , rapid chill,  then cold smoke for an hour or so,  then individually bag and freeze , w some jus if I remember.

CB4.thumb.jpg.6d49286aa77efeec16ed672b4f8924ba.jpg

the cooler w some bubble wrap on the top.  fits fairly snuggly w a viewing space to check the water level.

more in 2 days ++

P.S.:  I used some clear generic packing tape to seal the bubble wrap in , across the lower part and around the edges.

looks like a decent and easy system to me at this point.   I use hot tap water to fill the 30 qt container.

rotuts

rotuts

i got three packages of Point from S&S  ,   @ 1.47 / lbs.    total cost :  $ 24.   savings $ 29.27

some packs have a lot or thick red goon . note on the L  on the R  very little goop.   wonder why

the cuts looked very decent turned over out of the bag , they pack so the fat cap is not ready so see, under the colored opaque front label.

Ive learned to go early and take a few minuets looking over the selection.    later in the week ++ sale the quality deteriorates

and they have run out of the O'Donnell's  brand and finished up the sale on a far inferior brand in the past.  the O'Donnell sells out

each tranche was trimmed of its fat cat , and cut into three hunks , and bagged.   the above sighed in at 1.2 kg.  the other packs are similar looking

this is a 30 qt Igloo cooler Ihave had for a while but never used.  I used to use the SousVide Magic for years and years for large Sv project

but elected to retire it , but keep it and its matching large cooler just in case.   In years past Ive done 6 ++ bags in that system

I don't have a lot of room in my downstairs freezers , and realized i like TurkeyBreast and TurkeyThigh  SV more.

especially now that Ive gotten the iPot Stock thing-ey down pat !

I plan on a bit different cook  this year :   130.5 for 24 H , then 135 for another 24 H and check

if all things look and taste good in two days , rapid chill,  the cold smoke for an hour or so then individually bag and freeze , w some jus if I remember.

the cooler w some bubble wrap on the top.  fits fairly snuggly w a viewing space to check the water level.

more in 2 days ++

P.S.:  I used some clear generic packing tape to seal the bubble wrap in , across the lower part and around the edges.

looks like a decent and easy system to me at this point.   I use hot tap water to fill the 30 qt container.

rotuts

rotuts

some packs have a lot or thick red goon . note on the L  on the R  very little goop.   wonder why

the cuts looked very decent turned over out of the bag , they pack so the fat cap is not ready so see, under the colored opaque front label.

Ive learned to go early and take a few minuets looking over the selection.    later in the week ++ sale the quality deteriorates

each tranche was trimmed of its fat cat , and cut into three hunks , and bagged.   the above sighed in at 1.2 kg.  the other packs are similar looking

this is a 30 qt Igloo cooler Ihave had for a while but never used.  I used to use the SousVide Magic for years and years for large Sv project

but elected to retire it , but keep it and its matching large cooler just in case.   In years past Ive done 6 ++ bags in that system

I don't have a lot of room in my downstairs freezers , and realized i like TurkeyBreast and TurkeyThigh  SV more.

especially now that Ive gotten the iPot Stock thing-ey down pat !

if all things look and taste good in two days , rapid chill,  the cold smoke for an hour or so then individually bag and freeze , w some jus if I remember.

more in 2 days ++