• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Private rooms

Pan

Hi, everyone. I have a friend who's scrambling to find a room in Manhattan for an ever-increasing number of people at short notice. It looks like it'll be around 75-80 people, and he wants to keep the cost for dinner at $60/person or less (extra charge for an open bar is OK, if necessary). Most of the people involved aren't foodies, but some are (I'm one of the people involved). We want good service, of course, and to be able to hang out and socialize for as long as we like, within reason. Which restaurants or other kinds of places do you know of who could fit that bill? This is for dinner on Friday, March 7 and Saturday, March 8.

Michael aka "Pan"

Based on what I've seen of Jane, I couldn't imagine it would take that large a reservation. Do they have a big private room I didn't see?

Thanks for your replies, and I will continue to read and pass on suggestions. CraftBar is a great idea, if they'll keep things within our budget.

Michael aka "Pan"

From the web site:

100 West Houston Street

In Jane’s private dining room, called the Green Room, we can accommodate up to 40 guests for a sit down meal or 65 for cocktails and hors d’oeuvres. For larger parties take over the entire restaurant for events up to 120 guests.

Lunch starts at $29 per person

Cocktail Parties start at $55

Dinner (no cocktails) $55

Cocktail and Dinner Party $85 pp

Brunch starts at $30 pp

We have a private rooms at The Smith that can accommodate up to 64 for a sit down meal or 100 for cocktails and hors d’oeuvres. To close The Smith for your event we can accommodate up to 150 guests for sit down or 200 for Cocktails and hors d’oeuvres.

Lunch starts at $29 per person

Cocktail Parties start at $55

Dinner (no cocktails) $55

Cocktail and Dinner Party $85 pp

Brunch starts at $30 pp

I would try Chinatown -- recently had a company dinner at Golden Unicorn, who were empty on a weekday night. What about Congee Village or Congee Bowery? How big is their biggest private room?

Edited by kathryn (log)
"I'll put anything in my mouth twice." -- Ulterior Epicure

I seem to remember that Congee Village had rooms for 20, 50, or 100, but it doesn't look like this group is going for Chinese food this time. I think Congee Village is a great idea, if we could get the reservation, but they require a presumably non-refundable deposit, which could be a complicating factor, what with logistics and so forth (not sure how the organizer is handling that).

As things stand, we are having prix fixe dinners plus cash bar at Trattoria Trecolori one night (I've never been there, but it gets a lot of love on Chowhound) and Trattoria Dopo Teatro the other night (I've been there once a few years ago and was underwhelmed by both their food and service). It looks like he won't change unless the group gets a lot bigger, which could happen, so do keep the suggestions coming.

Michael aka "Pan"

Jing Fong is a really good thought. Actually, any of the big Chinatown eating halls are a good thought - Harmony Palace, etc. Which one of them is best for a dinner banquet at this point?

One wrinkle is that some folks in this group are vegetarians or don't eat various things (pork, seafood, etc.).

Edited by Pan (log)

Michael aka "Pan"

• 7 months later...

Bumping this thread as I need a private room, in Manhattan, Not At VIP's, for a dinner party for 12-20 people for about $100 PP with wine, not inc. Tax&tip.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Toby

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

Bumping this thread as I need a private room, in Manhattan, Not At VIP's, for a dinner party for 12-20 people for about $100 PP with wine, not inc. Tax&tip. 

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Toby

last I knew they'll meet that price in the back room at Lupa.