• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Faucets

birder53

He wants the separate spray. I want the pull down. He thinks the pull down will dangle and break. What has your experience been and which would you recommend?

I like the clean look of the pull downs. The sink will also have a soap dispenser and air gap, so the pull down will reduce the cluttered look. I've never used one before, so I'm wondering how you like yours and would you buy it again.

Thanks!

KathyM

I wanted a pull-down forever but couldn't justify it as we had just bought the house new and couldn't afford to make such a change. Last summer while we were away for a few days, my daughter and son-in-law were house-sitting and when we returned they had installed a pull-down. :smile:

I am totally thrilled with it! I have had the separate spray in the past and find this one much more useful and much less awkward to use. I don't find any problem with it dangling. It slips back so easily and looks so out of place if it's not replaced.

There was only one downside to their installation - they installed the soap dispenser over the right sink and I wash dishes in the left sink! :sad:

But it holds a supply of hand soap and is still nice to use.

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I have three kitchen faucets.

One of these kitchen faucet

Which has seen a lot of use at the regular sink for three years.

I also have one of these at the veggie prep sink which replaced a clunkier one in the summer of '06.

Blanco faucet with hose.

I have in the past had several of the deck-mounted separate sprayers and every single one leaked and was always a mess, leaving wet patches in the cabinet under the sink and ruining supplies stored in the space.

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I first used a Gooseneck Spray Hose at 16 when running a Hobart dishwasher at the Five Star Diner in Parsippany NJ.

When I rehabbed my house, I had to have one for my kitchen sink. One of my best design decisions.

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

Don't buy a cheap one. Be gentle with it.

I'm considering this one by Danze. Danze Anu It's inexpensive but doesn that mean it is cheap? I've found it at another web site for $183.

If you have a Great Indoors anywhere in your area, that's one place I know that carries the Danze line. It may just have been that I was looking at the floor models, but they hadn't held up all that well and I ended up not being that impressed with them.

I like the look of the pulldown sprayers better than the counter-mounted ones, plus I think the counter-mounted ones don't have enough oomph. To satisfy my husbands need for pure dishwashing power, we ended up with the lowest-end KWC model, which has a separate sprayer that functions a lot like a pulldown. Of course, having a 3-foot-tall faucet in your kitchen definitely makes a statement about the importance of dishwashing in your life, but it was a statement we were willing to make. :biggrin:

Feast then thy heart, for what the heart has had, the hand of no heir shall ever hold.

I have the Delta Signature Pullout Kitchen Faucet (the #470 model NOT the #140 one) and I love it. I got it for around half the list price at my local plumbing store. And installed it myself so they gave me the contractor's discount. You can also find them on Amazon.

It's very important not to get a cheap faucet. They simply don't hold up to daily use and are full of problems. When you pick up a quality faucet it's heavy ... no plastic to break. Just think how often it gets used. Not a place to cut corners, especially in the kitchen.