• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Traders Joe?

helenas

The only location in South Jersey doesn't sell wine, so we plan to go up north.

There are four of stores there: Wayne, Westwood, Westfield and Florham Park.

Can somebody tell me what's the best location or they are similar, and what can be also interesting things (food wise: markets, stores and farms, not restaurants) to check around?

thank you.

Westwood and Wayne do not have wine, but the Westwood store has an A&P liquor store next to it . The meat is prepacked, as are most of the vegs. The selection is similar in both stores.

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.

Have not been too impressed with Trader Joes. Lots of frozen stuff. I get a flier advertising frozen salmon for 7.99 a pound. I can buy fresh fish cheaper. Also they have many frozen veggies and frozen chicken, but prefer to buy fresh which they lack. They do have nice selection of natural cereals, snacks if one is into that.

I'm interested in trader joes only for buying wine cheaply. i have wegmans in walking distance and Delicious Orchards 15 minutes drive from my house. Oh yes, and Nicholas in 25 minutes drive. And a laptop in my bedroom and certainly computer at my work to reach egullet every moment i need. So i'm gastronomically set :biggrin:

If you get all the way up into North Jersey near NYC, you really should visit this store. Jim Leff describes it as the most amazing store in the world and he's on to something. There is plenty that you won't find there but you'll also have surprises on every aisle. Much better than the International Food Mart in Jersey City - I guarantee it will be unlike any other store you've ever been in as regards selection and best of all..... prices are really low.

Chowhound article

If you get all the way up into North Jersey near NYC, you really should visit this store. Jim Leff describes it as the most amazing store in the world and he's on to something. There is plenty that you won't find there but you'll also have surprises on every aisle. Much better than the International Food Mart in Jersey City - I guarantee it will be unlike any other store you've ever been in as regards selection and best of all.....  prices are really low.

Chowhound article

When I originally saw this article in CH I thought to myself that the only two things I liked about this store was the prices were good on certain items and that it was all in one place. The quality was no better than a good Supermarket and the dairy and cold cuts( there's no fresh items) were about the same as as a supermarket. The chocolate and candy seledtion was mostly low end, although it is a large selection. I've got nothing good to say about the coffe unless you're into Arabic brands. I tried them and didn't like them. The pasta and olive oil selection were much better when the store first opened. The bread srlection always seemed a day too old. The cheese is the usual prepackage stuff. They do have two items that are hard ro find; Sabra and Party time spreads. The olive choices are cheap but limited. For me personally, I'd rather go to my two or three favorite places and do just as good if not better. I suppose if you live outside the NY,NJ area this store is worth the trip.

I'm a NYC expat. Since coming to the darkside, as many of my freinds have said, I've found that most good things in NYC are made in NJ.