• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

French Toast

paulraphael

I'd like to start making French toast on weekday mornings, for the traditional reason: an endless bounty of stale bread.

But I'm not crazy things that taste stronggly of eggs. Are there any basic recipes for French toast that don't taste much more eggy than pancakes or crepes?

I'm looking for a basic template that's versatile and will have good texture, and that can easily be modified for different flavors. I'm new to this ... last time I French toast was probably when my mom made it.

Thoughts?

Notes from the underbelly

Just put in more milk and less egg. I like to throw in a bit of vanilla, too.

Maybe you should consider making croutons or one of those bread soups instead. :wink:

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.

I make some pretty awesome french toast, if I do say so myself. Here's how I do it (and I don't like it puddinglike either).

Use one more egg than people you are serving. Scramble them in a measuring cup, and then add an equal amount of milk. Add a splash of vanilla, a teaspoon or two of sugar, and a dash of cinnamon. Penzey's Baking Spice is nice too.

Have your pan oiled and hot -- not quite as hot as for pancakes, but hot. You want to cook them over medium heat so they can cook in the center without burning.

Here's the key -- don't soak the bread in the custard. Just give it a dip on the first side, turn, dip on the second side, and place in the pan. Cook the first side until nice and brown, and then turn. Cook on the second side until the toast pieces puff up a bit.

If you need to make a couple of batches, keep them warm in a 200 degree oven.

That's it! Never fails.

While this recipe starts off as a "pudding" - if it is sliced less than 3/4" thick, by the time it has been grilled, particularly when the raw side has been sprinkled with maple sugar or even plain granulated sugar, it is "done" in the center and not custardy.

You can use fewer eggs, more bread, bake till knife blade comes out clean.

You can try it with just a small batch - bake it in a mini loaf pan, small soufflé dish, etc.

Another nice thing is that you can cook the slices on the griddle, set them aside, take two slices, spread with your favorite "filling" and put in a panini grill. Make it as simple or complex as you wish. It's great when you have company because you can grill or griddle all the slices ahead of time, keep them warm in the oven and let people serve themselves and you are not stuck at the stove.

Mock French toast

gallery_17399_60_111714.jpg

gallery_17399_60_8618.jpg

The slices are sprinkled with granulated maple sugar on the "raw" side.

gallery_17399_60_125088.jpg

Turned twice to show the carmellized sugar on one side.

gallery_17399_60_9489.jpg

Plus, this will use up a lot of stale bread. The batch pictured is made with brioche rolls.

Edited by andiesenji (log)

"There are, it has been said, two types of people in the world. There are those who say: this glass is half full. And then there are those who say: this glass is half empty. The world belongs, however, to those who can look at the glass and say: What's up with this glass? Excuse me? Excuse me? This is my glass? I don't think so. My glass was full! And it was a bigger glass!" Terry Pratchett

I make some pretty awesome french toast, if I do say so myself.  Here's how I do it (and I don't like it puddinglike either).

Use one more egg than people you are serving.  Scramble them in a measuring cup, and then add an equal amount of milk.  Add a splash of vanilla, a teaspoon or two of sugar, and a dash of cinnamon.  Penzey's Baking Spice is nice too.

Have your pan oiled and hot -- not quite as hot as for pancakes, but hot.  You want to cook them over medium heat so they can cook in the center without burning.

Here's the key -- don't soak the bread in the custard.  Just give it a dip on the first side, turn, dip on the second side, and place in the pan.  Cook the first side until nice and brown, and then turn.  Cook on the second side until the toast pieces puff up a bit.

If you need to make a couple of batches, keep them warm in a 200 degree oven.

That's it!  Never fails.

I do my French toast almost exactly like this, only I blend into the egg/milk about a bit of sugar, a Tbs. of flour and a scant teaspoon (or large pinch) of baking powder, for every 3-4 eggs. Same ratios of eggs and milk, with spices and vanilla though.

They are light, puffy, crisp, flavorful, soft and sweet on the inside, and not one bit eggy. I think you were one of my egg-hating compatriots on the "stuff we hate" threads, so I wouldn't steer ya wrong, man.