• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TN: Wine notes

Florida Jim

Marinated chick pea salad with EVOO dressed cottage cheese:

2006 Bodegas Valdesil, Godello Montenovo:

Apricot is the dominant theme here but the nose is punctuated with resin, honeycomb and stone elements while the palate accents its apricot nectar flavor with citrus and tonic water. Perhaps best of all, there is tension between the viscous character of the texture and the acidity that seems to brighten and lift the wine to a more interesting place. 13% alcohol, imported by Eric Solomon and about $10; stealing at the price.

With vegetable hash:

2005 Jadot, Moulin-a-Vent Chateau des Jacques:

At present, a precise, tight Gevrey-esque wine – good with the meal but giving only a glimpse; the real value here is the future – if it goes where I think its going, this will be as profound an MaV as one could ask and a wine that more than lives up to its top billing as a Beaujolais cru Perhaps even more beguiling, is the distinct possibility that this will, with sufficient age (10+ years), resemble fine Burgundy. Good now; so much better later. 13% alcohol, imported by Kobrand and about $22; worth it.

Chicken and porcini on pasta:

2001 Giacosa, Nebbiolo d’Alba:

Decanted 4 hours; this is fuller, more aromatic and better integrated then when simply popped and poured; little secondary development yet but excellent complexity and a lovely texture; quite long in the mouth. Matched very well with the dish. 13% alcohol, imported by Locascio and about $20 on release; I bought a lot.

Smoked salmon spread and crackers:

2005 Dom. de L’Ecu, Muscadet Expression de Granite:

Day one: rock hard and tasting of spring water, lime, unripe pear and predominantly, minerals.

Day two with a turkey sandwich: expressive and nuanced nose of lime, mineral, unripe pineapple and pear and a smell something like the aroma you get standing right next to a fountain – negative ions?; smoothly textured and deep with flavors that echo the nose and carry both complexity and a sort of interlocking lusciousness with each other, bright acidity that is every bit as well integrated, perfect balance and a very long, precise, yet supple finish. God wine. 12% alcohol, imported by Chartrand and about $17; as good a QPR as there is on the planet.

Turkey and dressing:

1998 Vieux Télégraph, Châteauneuf-du-Pape:

Very funky aromas when opened – decanted two hours; much better then with salted meat and cherry smells; light bodied, flavors echo the nose, some garrigue, some grip; medium length finish. This was most impressive on release and has been shut down ever since; now, it is approachable, albeit straightforward and pleasant, but nothing that can’t be bought for $15 in Pic St. Loup and blown away for $25 in Faugères. 14% alcohol, imported by Kermit Lynch and about $50 on release; ridiculously over-priced.

(If anybody wants my remaining bottles in trade, they have only to ask.)

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com

Where did you get the Giasco Nebbiolo? I would like to try it. I love the grape in all its forms.

A local store in St. Petersburg, FL. They do not ship out of state.

But note the importer; if you ask one of your local retailers who carry wines from this importer, maybe they can get this wine, too.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com