• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cocktails for rookies

Tim Dolan

I have a friend who is in the process of building a bar in his basement and in a few weeks will be having a little opening party. I have had some success in the past few years of slowly weening my friends off of Bud, Miller and Coors light, and now I would like to set my sights on cocktails. I would like to serve maybe two cocktails to start everyone out on the right foot.

My crowd is roughly the straight shots/vodka and Redbull set, the types who would order vodka and cranberries and Jack and Cokes and consider that the entire world of cocktails. I actually have a friend who occasionally drinks straight Canadian Club whiskey and calls it a Manhattan. Seriously.

It's not that they're idiots, (wait, yes they are...) it's just that they don't know any better. I like to think of this as having a clean slate. If they had any concept of what is good, they'd accept it. I need to step my game up as well.

For instance, I had never heard about an Aviation until reading all about it on this board. But after doing my homework, I went out and bought all of the ingredients that were needed, and mixed up a few crude versions. I served some up at a party, and they were a big hit. I'm certain that I cranked out a rudimentary version of this cocktail, but it tasted good, and more importantly, everyone else really liked it. So this is one drink I will be serving at the party, but I need one more. Preferrably one that is pretty basic, but will get people talking and wondering what it is and how I made it. Any and all help is appreciated!

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

Tim, I would probably start your friend off with a gin based cocktail and a bourbon based cocktail. You've already tried your hand at an Aviation, so maybe something along the citrus/sweet vein for a gin drink and a true Manhattan for the bourbon drink? You can find simple drinks that are classic and won't take very many ingredients. Plus, if you do a Manhattan, you can split the vermouth between those and and a Martini, giving your friend three drinks. Of course, you may want some orange bitters for the martinis . . .

Just throwing stuff out there.

Cheers,

Marshall

My rule of life prescribed as an absolutely sacred rite smoking cigars and also the drinking of alcohol before, after and if need be during all meals and in the intervals between them. -Winston Churchill

Co-Author: The Scofflaw's Den

I found that people seem to enjoy a nice Sidecar, especially when it's made with a brandy that's not really dry. Makes it a bit more approachable to people who are used to really sweet cocktails.

Also, a properly made margarita. The Marg is a crazy popular cocktail, but I bet most of your freinds haven't had a truly GOOD one.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

Thanks for the replies. I'm halfway through the "Bartending for the perplexed" thread, which is hysterical. It should be required reading for people like me.

I would kill everyone in this room for a drop of sweet beer...

Homer Simpson

I would have to put in an opposing viewpoint here. I am the only cocktail-drinker of my bunch of friends as well. Just this month I threw a christmas party. I had several drink choices - a bottled Aviation, a "champagne cocktails" bar, eggnog, spiced cider as well as the nonalcoholic stuff. I considered doing a bottled Manhattan but decided against it. I'm glad I did. Most people there found the Aviation to be too strong and requested something to cut it. Not surprising I suppose. It's easy to forget what it is like when you first switch from rum and coke to real cocktails. Basically - I would include at least one cocktail that isn't too hard for a newbie to handle. Something, for example, with juice in the ingredients. It sounds like some of your friends would be fine with the hard drinks, but if the only choices are Manhattan or Aviation, I bet at least a few people will come away with the impression that they don't enjoy classic cocktails very much.

I agree that the Aviation might not be the very best choice as an intro; the funk can be off-putting for some. It's probably covered in the threads that slkinsey linked to, but I'd perhaps go with a 20th Century cocktail or a Corpse Reviver #2 for a gin sour-type drink. They're both familiar-tasting, coming off at first sip like a lemonade-type drink, but theres an elusive something to both of them that will keep people intrigued in a way that a lemon drop never would. FWIW, I oddly enough find that my friends like Sazeracs more than Manhattans or Old Fashioneds, even the ones who aren't huge on whiskey. Go figure.

-Andy

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman