• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

liuzhou

liuzhou

There are several websites promising to tell you "everything you need to know about fish sauce". None of them do, although some get closer than others. 

For a start, none know what you or I need to know. Some are just error-ridden crap: some recommend brands only because it's the only brand they can find locally; one only told me that fish sauce is sauce made from fish!

Most only mention Thai and/or Vietnamese sauces, ignoring Burmese, Lao, Cambodian, Filipino, Malaysian, Korean, Chinese, Japanese, British or Italian etc.

One, pretending to be Thai but actually Canadian ends up recommending Vietnamese sauce.

So I decided to explore the world and see what's actually out there and how many I can find locally.

I'll start boringly with the most familiar.

Thai fish sauce is nam pla - น้ําปลา in Thai. It literally means 'fish water'. The best contains only fish ( ปลา ), salt ( เกลือ ) and sugar ( น้ำตาล ). Check that ingredients list.

Lesser brands contain MSG ( ผงชูรส ) and caramel ( คาราเมล ). Some use hydrolyzed wheat protein ( โปรตีนข้าวสาลีไฮโดรไลซ์ ), another taste enhancer similar in effect to MSG. I suggest you avoid those (while remaining resolutely a defender of MSG in general).

If these is a protein count on the packaging, so much the better. 30N and above is a good indicator of quality. Unfortunately few brands include that information.

First-press ( ซอสกดครั้งแรก ) sauce is best in the same way that extra-virgin olive oil is. 

Prik nam pla ( น้ําปลาพริก ) is a table condiment or dressing containing nam pla with chilli. Sometimes it also contains lime juice and / or garlic. It is not used in cooking.

Of the widely available Thai fish sauce brands, Megachef and Squid are both recommended. Neither are available here so I pass that on with the usual caveats.

I use either of these depending on current availability. Not the best; not the worst.

Screenshot_20240229_180955_com.sankuai.meituan_edit_173413032020934.thumb.jpg.585c2dc8e2ba53db6316c1637eebba62.jpg

Screenshot_20240301_170832.thumb.jpg.dc7db13e48eb2da32001a0c90288ce0c.jpg

Next: Vietnamese fish sauce.

liuzhou

liuzhou

There are several websites promising to tell you "everything you need to know about fish sauce". None of them do, although some get closer than others. 

For a start, none know what you or I need to know. Some are just error-ridden crap: some recommend brands only because it's the only brand they can find locally; one only told me that fish sauce is sauce made from fish!

Most only mention Thai and/or Vietnamese sauces, ignoring Burmese, Lao, Cambodian, Filipino, Malaysian, Korean, Chinese, Japanese, British or Italian etc.

One, pretending to be Thai but actually Canadian ends up recommending Vietnamese sauce.

So I decided to explore the world and see what's actually out there and how many I can find locally.

Thai fish sauce is nam pla - น้ําปลา in Thai. It literally means 'fish water'. The best contains only fish ( ปลา ), salt ( เกลือ ) and sugar ( น้ำตาล ). Check that ingredients list.

Lesser brands contain MSG ( ผงชูรส ) and caramel ( คาราเมล ). Some use hydrolyzed wheat protein ( โปรตีนข้าวสาลีไฮโดรไลซ์ ), another taste enhancer similar in effect to MSG. I suggest you avoid those (while remaining resolutely a defender of MSG in general).

If these is a protein count on the packaging, so much the better. 30N and above is a good indicator of quality. Unfortunately few brands include that information.

First-press ( ซอสกดครั้งแรก ) sauce is best in the same way that extra-virgin olive oil is. 

Prik nam pla ( น้ําปลาพริก ) is a table condiment or dressing containing nam pla with chilli. Sometimes it also contains lime juice and / or garlic. It is not used in cooking.

Of the widely available Thai fish sauce brands, Megachef and Squid are both recommended. Neither are available here so I pass that on with the usual caveats.

I use either of these depending on current availability. Not the best; not the worst.

Screenshot_20240229_180955_com.sankuai.meituan_edit_173413032020934.thumb.jpg.585c2dc8e2ba53db6316c1637eebba62.jpg

liuzhou

liuzhou

First-press ( ซอสกดครั้งแรก ) sauce is best in the same at that extra-virgin olive oil is. 

liuzhou

liuzhou

I was surprised to discover that there was no recent dedicated fish sauce topic here. There is now.

First-press ( ซอสกดครั้งแรก ) sauce is best in the same at that extra-virgin olive oil is. 

liuzhou

liuzhou

I was surprised to discover that there was no dedicated fish sauce topic here. There is now.

liuzhou

liuzhou

I was surprised to discover that there was no dedicated fish sauce topic here. There is now.

First-press ( ซอสกดครั้งแรก )
sauce is best in the same at that extra-virgin olive oil is. 

liuzhou

liuzhou

For a start none know what you or I need to know. Some are just error-ridden crap: some recommend brands only because it's the only brand they can find locally; one only told me that fish sauce is sauce made from fish!

First-press ( ซอสกดครั้งแรก )
sauce is best in the same at that extra-virgin olive oil is.