• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Inn at Little Washington

Rosie x

No need, Cabby. Simply zip over on the shuttle, have a slap-up meal, get a long ride back to the airport and zip home again. I discussed this on the DC board a little while ago, and while the cab rides will be pricy, they'll be cheaper than staying overnight.

Easy peasy, as Jamie would say.

Rosie -

I'm pleased you enjoyed your stay at IALW.

Am I correct in the belief that there are actually several residence buildings (homes, built to purpose inns, etc) offered as part of the Inn? One person mentioned their accomodation was more than a block from the main buildings, requiring a schlep (in the rain).

Cabrales -

The rooms are undoubtedly being held for prominent chefs, product sponsors, and others. Debauchery abetted by rare wines, exquisite foods, and superlative service. Perhaps it will be one of Mr Cheney's "undisclosed locations" since his Wyoming trout stream will probably be frozen by then...

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

I think they are in the process of buying up the whole town which is maybe 4 blocks by 4 blocks. We stayed at the inn and just walked down the stairs for dinner and rolled up them many hours later. I think there are 12 rooms in the main inn. When we came down for dinner Lowell was given a flower for the lapel of his suit. so he could be id as "one who was staying at the inn." I don't know about the rooms that weren't in the main building. However, it was wonderful. Really wonderful.

Rosalie Saferstein, aka "Rosie"

TABLE HOPPING WITH ROSIE

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I'm not planning on attending, but I think the Inn's gone downhill over the last 2-3 years. I've eaten there approx. 10 times over the years, always for a special occasion (my father's birthday mostly, and my brother's wedding) and the first 8 meals were memorable, but last year's (2001) two meals were subpar, and the menu hadn't changed, at last not appreciably. The wine list had also deteriorated. The Inn does extend to other buildings in the town.

Belmont3,

Use your favorite barbecue sauce.

Process Pecans, bread crumbs, Fresh thyme, salt and pepper and a bit of sugar to keep the pecans from cakeing.

The lamb racks are grilled and finished in the oven at the Inn but they can be seared on the stove and finished in the oven to desired doneness.

At this time debone racks, Cut into medallions and roll edge in BBQ sauce and then pecan mixture and serve.

At the Inn the lamb is boned and the bones are used to make a lamb stock

" Lamb Jus" and added to the finished plate, also haricot vert and sweetpotato strings but these can be replaced with anything you choose.

Good luck and let me know if I can be of any more help.

RR

Robert R

• 1 month later...

Resurrecting this topic.

I saw the "Great Hotels" segment on IALW on the Travel Channel this weekend. The tables in the dining room are REALLY close together. Against several of the banquettes were two-tops with what looked like about two inches between them. Never mind the closeness of other tables for conversation, but what about all the commotion of seating diners in the banquettes. Multiply by multiple seatings (grrr) and you've got a recipe for disruption, not the kind of carefree luxury of top rooms in France. No thanks.

Jake Parrott

Ledroit Brands, LLC

Bringing new and rare spirits to Washington DC.

There are many people, myself included, who feel that the Inn at Little Washington at $149 prix fixe for Friday and Saturday plus a $300 suppliment per table for one of the two kitchen tables (that's $224 prix fixe for a party of four) is one of the most overrated restaurants on the face of the earth. Also consider that the rooms which range from $450 to 800 with most in the 550-600 range include half of them which are one block down the street in a different building. Additionally the wine list has an average markup of 250 to 300% with just a handful of bottles under $100.

At the risk of sounding overly negative I have had three meals there over the past 20 years including my wife's 50th birthday which was the most recent. When I think of similarly priced experiences in Paris there is just no comparison. When I compare two and three stars in Spain (El Raco de can Fabes), Germany (Im Schiffschen), Italy (Dal Pescatore, Le Calandre, Guido among others) the Inn just falls short. In fact I sincerely believe that it is not even the best overall restaurant in the Washington, D. C. area. This title is held by Maestro at the Ritz Carlton in Tyson's Corner. Further, kitchen table for kitchen table, Michel Richard at Citronelle and Roberto Donna in his Laboratorio can put The Inn to shame.

This was once a great restaurant. Now, for a $500 weekend meal for two, the standards are a bit more exacting.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
so how far is this place from the the city?

also, how expensive is this place (dinner) really?

thanks...

Washington, VA is about an hour and half drive from downtown DC. Once you get beyond the sprawl of DC, the drive is very pleasant. The last time I ate there, weeknight dinners were ~$100/person and weekend dinners were ~$110/person excluding wine.