• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What are we putting out for Santa?

Peter Green

We've been following Santa's progress on www.noradsanta.com (he's in India now), and Serena has hauled out a small table by the tree and prepped it with cookies and milk.

For Santa, we're putting out two pinwheel cookies, two golf ball chocolates, and one chocolate truffle, that Yoonhi made.

gallery_22892_3828_186529.jpg

We have a zip loc of apples for the reindeer, and glass of milk, with two ice cubes in it so it'll keep until he gets here.

What're you guys putting out for the Seasonal Visitor?

This is a great topic!

We recognize that Santa might be sick of cookies by the time he gets to our house, so we leave Santa a small cheese platter, including some of his favorites like a bit of blue, swiss, and sharp cheddar, pepperoni slices or a nice dry salami, and some crackers. To drink, generally a Diet Coke, or perhaps a Yuengling.

For the reindeer, we leave a bowl of baby carrots in on the front step, and sprinkle some "magic reindeer food" around the yard. That's a tradition that dates back to when my son was in pre-school, and came home with a bag of it that he made. Every year, we mix some random grains and birdseed with multicolored sprinkles and colored sugars, then throw handfuls in the grass.

I really love your apple slices in the zippy bag, that's very thoughtful and adorable.

Well, ever since the "let's leave him some hushpuppies" incident which resulted in a nightlong cacophany of doghowls outside, and a wee-hours tree-toppling by the resident little Jack Russell (who knew a three-legged dog could jump so high?)---we've sorta been nervous about leaving out anything on a plate, bowl, or in a baggie. I swear Petey could smell food three counties away.

So we put out chocolate-chip-cookie makings for the elves to bake back home after all the flurry when it's time to make cocoa and put their feet up.

All sealed in a sniff-proof Mason jar.

The reindeer can hit the salt-lick out by the arbor.

We've been tracking Santa all night on NORAD radar too. Wasn't that really cute? The kids loved the "high tech tracking system".

We left Santa some homemade almond crescents and a glass of chocolate milk. But oddly enough, Santa was more in the mood for a warm glass of cider with a little bourbon than he in the cookies and milk. His nose was red and a little shiny when he left and he seemed very happy. :)

"There's nothing like a pork belly to steady the nerves."

Fergus Henderson

On our end, Billy left a glass of milk, three gingerbread cookies (one shaped like a duck, a bell and a Christmas tree), one shortbread kisses cokkie and a colored shortbread cookie. He also left a giant strawberry lollipop for SAanta, in case he wants some candy. :biggrin:

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

• 11 months later...

So, this year Serena was very concerned.

The first question (big) was "how many reindeer are there?"

I mean, you don't want 9 reindeer fighting over 7 pieces of carrot, do you?

And so, we checked out the NORAD site to see how many teams there were.

Four, plus the alcy with the red glowing nose.

gallery_22892_3828_24817.jpg

So, the girl was worried about them getting dehydrated, so the answer was to soak the carrots (9) in water.

gallery_22892_3828_4566.jpg

The big discussion was over what Santa should drink.

I, of course, recommended a martini, but nobody ever agrees with me. So, we went with the traditional glass of milk, but with an ice cube to keep it cold until after midnight.

I just talked to mom in Vancouver, and she said that the interview with Santa on the radio said that Santa likes gingerbread.

Luckily, the kids didn't eat all of the gingerbread cookies.

And so, with visions of Samuel Jackson talking about RPGs dancing in our heads, we go to sleep.

Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!

Peter, Yoonhi, Serena, and Scud

A cookie, a carrot, a chunk of blue cheese and a glass of port.

Peter Gamble aka "Peter the eater"

I just made a cornish game hen with chestnut stuffing. . .

Would you believe a pigeon stuffed with spam? . . .

Would you believe a rat filled with cough drops?

Moe Sizlack

We put out homemade cookies, some carrots for the reindeer, and many years ago we convinced our son that Santa preferred single malt scotch. :biggrin:

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Merry Christmas to everyone!

One of my Chinese students just told me about a tradition in China: everyone eats an apple on Christmas Eve because in Chinese, apple is pingguo which sounds like pingan. Pingan in Chinese means safety and peace.

So, I am eating an apple for my family, and one for all my eGullet family - to wish you all peace and safety.

Then, we're putting out a sauce of salt for the reindeer as we didn't have a salt-lick on hand. Santa will have a mince meat tart and glass of milk. Ice cube is a good idea, so I'll be sure to do that! I'd better add an apple too, so he will have a safe and peaceful journey home.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

Last night, it was one of Aunt Debbie's molasses chews, a bit of cookies and cream fudge, a gingerbread man from the neighbor, a stalk of celery for the reindeer, and two fingers of Knob Creek.

I like this theme of booze for Santa. As far as I'm concerned, eGulleters have the right of it.