• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Max London's Saratoga Springs

Graphix

I stopped into the newly open Max London's for a cocktail last night. Knowing how detailed oriented his family is (owners of Mrs. London's next door) i knew i was in for a treat. What i didnt realize is just how impressed i would be. I didnt get a chance to try the food (mostly Mediterranean thin crust, brick oven pizza's) but i was able to order a Sazerac and a Corpse Reviver No.2 and both were were delicious. The bartenders are new to the game but hopefully with Max's dedication and passion towards fine foods they will take mixology to heart and catch the bug that alot of us have. Either way both of my drinks were perfectly made and what a treat it was to see Cold Draft ice cubes tumble into my glass somewhere outside manhattan and real bourbon soaked italian cherries! I'm not sure who designed the list but except for a few quirks i thought it was wonderful. Anyway if you in the area make sure to stop by and check it out.

B

For a discussion of this restaurant prior to its opening see this topic.

John Sconzo, M.D. aka "docsconz"

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

- Ferran Adria on eGullet 12/16/2004.

Docsconz - Musings on Food and Life

Slow Food Saratoga Region - Co-Founder

Twitter - @docsconz

• 3 weeks later...

I had dinner at Max London's for the first time last night. I was with my wife and a couple of very good friends. We shared a variety of small plates between us and then each had something to ourselves. Amongst the items we had were croquetas with jamon and idiazabal cheese, kampachi crudo, blue shrimp with quinoa, lamb chop, "BLT" pizza with uncured bacon, tomato and leeks, chickpea/polenta fries, stuffed dates, Flying Pigs Farm pork and beans in cazuela, a salad and stuffed dates. Everything was very good and reasonably priced, especially for Broadway in Saratoga. The place has already become quite busy. When I called for a reservation yesterday afternoon, I could only get 5:45PM or 9:30PM. We chose the former. The place was hopping with great energy, but the service was neither rushed nor lagging. Considering that they have only been open for a couple of weeks, they are doing an outstanding job.

The beverages deserve a special note. We started with cocktails. The list is composed primarily of classics, old and new. My wife had a pisco sour that was as good as anything we had in Peru. I had a well made Pegu Club, while our friends had a margarita and a drink with blackberries in it. All were very good, though I think my Pegu Club had spilled a little by the time it got to the table. In any case, there were a number of cocktails that intrigued me. I will eventually have to try them all. What I really want to rave about though is the wine list. It is simply the best list I have seen in some time in relation to selection and value. The choices are eclectic with an interesting array primarily from Spain, France and Italy as well as a smattering of other geographic origins. The prices are marginally above retail with an astounding selection between $25-50/bottle. We opted to spend a little more ($65) for a delicious 2004 Finca Terrerazo from Mustiguillo in Valencia, Spain. This wine made from the bobal grape usually retails for $35-45/bottle if one can find it. We did have a little confusion at first as our waitress initially brought its less expensive sister wine, the Mestizaje. It wasn't long, however, before she found the correct one.

Bread was brought at the beginning of the meal and served with an excellent, fresh olive oil, the name of which I did not get. As one would expect of bread from the Londons, it was excellent. I especially enjoy the Fire Bread. Dessert is another area one would expect this restaurant to excel at and it did not disappoint. My wife and I shared "Chocolate Maximus", a dense flourless chocolate cake with house-made pistachio ice cream. Our friends shared a citrus-saffron panna cotta. While neither were novel or particularly inventive, they were both exquisitely made and absolutely delicious. Our table was treated to a glass of Rare Wine Co. madeira as a nightcap.

Max London's Restaurant at this point is not trying to be overtly creative. They are making traditional Mediterranean dishes with personal tweaks and doing them quite well in an extremely comfortable setting at a very reasonable price point. Including cocktails, plenty of food, wine desserts, tax and >20% tip, the tally came to about $67pp.

I plan to return as often as I can, which will not be nearly as often as I would like.

"Remember that a very good sardine is always preferable to a not that good lobster."

Twitter - @docsconz

Of note for followers of the Saratoga restaurant scene, Dan Spitz, formerly chef at Beekman Street Bistro, is currently working at Max's. He had been private cheffing in the time between Beekman Street and Max's. A planned trip to Italy to study further traditional Italian cooking did not pan out as originally hoped.

Twitter - @docsconz

• 3 weeks later...
Article in local newspaper about Max London's:

Saratogian article

Good article.

Crediting Max and his kitchen staff, Michael said patrons have a wide and varied selection of meals to choose from. Joined in the kitchen by Dan Spitz, formerly of Beekman Street Bistro, and Clifton Booth, from Portland, Ore., Max creates a menu that changes daily. The menu offers eight variations of wood-fired pizza, three different types of salads, half a dozen pasta selections, and for those with larger appetites, the daily features of fowl, fish, seafood, pork or beef. One day last week those daily features translated into wood-fire-roasted stuffed squid, seafood cioppino, wood-fire- roasted stuffed quail, and prime rib eye.

This gives a sense as to who is cooking there and what they are doing. I wish I could go more frequently.

Twitter - @docsconz

• 1 month later...

Here is the review from the Albany Times-Union.

Dinner for two, including a quartino of wine, coffees, tax and gratuity came to $146. If we hadn't been conducting a restaurant review, we would've ordered and spent less. But looking back, there wasn't a single dish I would have wanted to miss.

I knew that it had taken a long time as I anticipated this opening almost as much as the londons themselves, but I didn't realize that it was over four years from the time that Max left Eartha's with the intent to open his restaurant and the time it actually came to fruition. As they say, "good things come to those who wait."

Twitter - @docsconz

I ate here two weeks ago and really enjoyed it. I wish I had taken notes but I rarely do. The pizza was with speck and arugola. The thing that impressed me most was the service. I ate at the bar ( as usual, I was on the road) and the barkeep was a joy to talk to. She even followed me outside to give me my to go pizza which I had left behind. I look forward to eating here again in the next few months.

Edited by Lreda (log)

• 2 months later...

We had a wonderful Mother's Day dinner there last Sunday. The outdoor patio dining is just about ready to open. People have been sitting there unofficially-they're awaiting the completion of the awning and railing. Ramps and fiddleheads are in.

Mark A. Bauman

• 10 months later...

We finally made it to Max's for brunch last Sunday. While the food was quite good, the portions were very skimpy given their prices. I had a potato pancake with two large grilled shrimp with romesco sauce with punch along with two poached eggs. $14 no coffee. The pancake barely filled the plate. My spouse had a ham and egg croissant for $9. No coffee. We will not return for brunch. Chez Sophie or Beverly's provide more bang for the buck at lunch/brunch. Max's is the place to go for the scenesters and hipsters. I would like to try dinner, but based on the portions am skeptical.