• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Source for cocktail ingredients in northern NJ

adegiulio

I went looking for orange bitters the other day. I couldnt find them in three different liquor stores. That, along with other cocktail mixers, seem to be tough to find. Does anyone have any good sources for stuff like this?

"It's better to burn out than to fade away"-Neil Young

"I think I hear a dingo eating your baby"-Bart Simpson

Finding any bitters beyond Angostura (and I surely don't mean Angostura orange bitters) is horrifically difficult to do in NJ. Even in Manhattan, which is why Pegu, Little Branch, and a few other bars have taken to selling them retail. LeNell's, in Red Hook (the *other* one, in Brooklyn), has a wide selection, but admittedly, that's a hike and a half. I'm certainly curious if anyone chimes in with NNJ options!

Christopher

Edited by plattetude (log)

According to Fee Brothers, Statewide Coffee Co. in Staten Island carries their products (I happened to be calling them on another matter). Their number is 718.967.2002. Or you could call Fee Bros. directly.

Amazon.com has a very good selection of bitters at good prices. Might be worth checking out and having dropped on your doorstep rather than running all over creation to find them.

Beyond Angostura I'd recommend having an Orange Bitters (Regan's or Fee Bros.), Peychauds, and the Fee Bros. Whiskey Barrel Aged in your collection. The Fee Brothers Lemon and Grapefruit bitters are also very nice.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

I just called Fee's Bros. They say they sell at Dean and Deluca...from Hoboken that doesnt seem too bad...for me its a bit more of a pain..

Maybe I'll go the Amazon route...

Yeah, I was going to order direct too, but decided to pick up a couple of other bitters from Amazon...