• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

CFS and small town restaurants

joiei

Some of the best Chicken Fried Steak I have had in these parts has been at small town restaurants, not the big city places. This review in today's Tulsa World makes me want to go have lunch, or dinner, whatever. Now I am challenged to find CFS equally as good in maybe Chanute or Iola.

I will definitly be checking this place out over the Thanksgiving weekend. Weleetka is not that far from the ranch where I will be cooking THanksgiving dinner for the family I work for. I can see it now, CFS for lunch, a stop in Okmulgee for pie for dessert and maybe treat myself to dinner at The Canebrake Resort over by Wagoner for dinner. I have a plan.

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!

Hey joiei,

here's a little list from the Kansas Explorer's Club:

http://www.explorekansas.org/chicken.html :biggrin:

I am having trouble getting that link to open.

In the meantime, I have a report. I was in Brownwood, Texas for a family wedding. One night I stopped at Humprey Pete's for a late dinner. The chicken fried steak was huge, at least 10 inches across. It had a nice flavor and the crust was crunchy and not too salty or greasy. The gravy was well cooked with just enough of a peppery flavor to go with the CFS. The soup, a green chili and corn chowder was not good, too thick and not enough of a green pepper flavor. The salad was just an iceberg salad, what one would expect in the real West Texas with some radishes, cucumbers, shredded carrots and a red onion ring. The dressing came in a little souffle cup on the side. I will go back for the CFS just to make sure it is real.

There was a bbq that I passed in Valera Texas that had a packed parking lot and two barrel bbqs out back. But they were closed when I passed back by. There was another one in Breckenridge, Texas that looked similar but being Sunday, it was closed. WHere is Valera, Texas, it is between Santa Anna (named for the indian chief, not the Spanish invader) and Ballinger on the way to San Angelo.

Edited by joiei (log)

It is good to be a BBQ Judge.  And now it is even gooder to be a Steak Cookoff Association Judge.  Life just got even better.  Woo Hoo!!!