• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Roman-Jewish fruitcake recipe?

orangeblossom

I just got back from a very short trip to Rome and while I was there, I stumbled upon the most AMAZING fruitcake I have ever had. It was in the Jewish quarter, the Ghetto, and the small nondescript-looking shop along Via del Portico d’Ottavia is run by a couple of matronly ladies. We had just finished a nice lunch further down the street when we saw a queue and decided most fortuituously to join in. The elderly gentleman behind my husband and I in the queue struck up a conversation with us - he was from Israel but used to live in Rome - and told us in no uncertain terms that this was the best fruitcake in the world and he always paid the shop a visit when he was in town to buy back for his family (the cake supposedly keeps very well).

And what an ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC fruitcake it was! Baked in huge rectangular trays, it was more a thick cookie wedge than cake, and it was very very generously studded with a delicious mix of candied fruit, almonds and pine nuts. This was all held together by a crumbly buttery pastry. The sides and the top crust were the best parts because of the crispy charred bits. It was so good we had to go back early the next morning before our flight to get another slice. We asked the lady in our broken Italian what the cake was called and she said it was a Jewish pizza. Sadly, because we were making a few other stops before coming home, we couldn't pack any back.

I am wondering if anyone out there can shed more light on this simple, rustic but oh-so- delicious treat, and if it included a recipe, I'll be more than delighted and grateful. Thanks in advance!

Amateur cook, professional foodie!

Look at THIS recipe.  Does this sound like Pizza Ebraica could be it?

And HERE'S a nice write up of the area (and possibly the same shop) you're talking about.

Rob

That IS the shop! I can almost smell that warm wonderful waft (alliteration not intended!) of the Jewish pizza. Incidentally, we tried 2 other pastries which are very very good - an almond cookie and the ricotta chocolate cake was just fantastic. My husband does not usually like cheesecakes but he wolfed down 2/3 of the ricotta-choc cake all by himself!

Thanks for the recipe - I will definitely try it and report back!

OB

Amateur cook, professional foodie!