• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Caramel apple drink?

chucklebean

I'm throwing a party in a few weeks and seeing as it's fall outside, I thought a caramel apple drink would be a good thing to serve. I love applejack and was thinking applejack and a little caramel syrup would do the trick, but applejack doesn't have much fruit flavor. Anyone tried something like this before? Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance. I love this forum.

I would try top find some Berentzen Apfel Korn, and some Sailor Jerry's Spiced Rum, to add to your Apple Jack. If that is unavaliable (this hurts to write) get some Apple Pucker, use very, very sparingly, and Captain Morgans.

A DUSTY SHAKER LEADS TO A THIRSTY LIFE

If that is unavaliable (this hurts to write) get some Apple Pucker, use very, very sparingly, and Captain Morgans.

I really love it when you see someone take their profession seriously while many others take it for granted.

Idea sounds delicious chucklbean, hope you pull it off.

"And in the meantime, listen to your appetite and play with your food."

Alton Brown, Good Eats

I made this for myself yesterday and thoroughly enjoyed it. (This is a variation on the Big Apple Cobbler created by George Delgado of Libation, according to NY Magazine. He used apple schnapps, I used Calvados).

1-1/2 oz. bourbon

1/2 oz. Calvados or other apple brandy

Pour over ice in a highball glass, then top almost all the way with apple cider (unpasteurized if you can get it), finishing off with a splash of ginger ale.

To me, bourbon offers some caramel-like flavor, so maybe this would work for you.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

I'd just do a bonded applejack Old Fashioned Cocktail: 2 oz bonded applejack (there's your apple), 1 tsp 2:1 demerara syrup (there's your caramel) and 2 dashes of aromatic bitters (there's your spice). Stir/strain/garnish with a fat twist.

--

I'd just do a bonded applejack Old Fashioned Cocktail: 2 oz bonded applejack (there's your apple), 1 tsp 2:1 demerara syrup (there's your caramel) and 2 dashes of aromatic bitters (there's your spice).  Stir/strain/garnish with a fat twist.

I had something similar to this at Flatiron last night. I think they did something different with the syrup (allspice maybe?)....

I'd just do a bonded applejack Old Fashioned Cocktail: 2 oz bonded applejack (there's your apple), 1 tsp 2:1 demerara syrup (there's your caramel) and 2 dashes of aromatic bitters (there's your spice).  Stir/strain/garnish with a fat twist.

I had something similar to this at Flatiron last night. I think they did something different with the syrup (allspice maybe?)....

the pastry chef i work with does a salted caramel mouse as a component of a dessert... volcanic sea salt makes it come alive. it would be fun to chaise all that sugared up mayhem with an applejack / martinelli's cider stone fence... the flavor components of the drink are redundent but oh well... break it in half and make it managable with a dash of angostura...

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com

What are the people like that are coming to your party? Is it a short cocktail hour or many hours of drinking?

If they are sophistacated drinkers, then the Old fashioned is a great idea. If it is a couple of hours then a punch might be in order. Some thing like this..

6 cups Apple Jack

2 cups Spiced Rum

3 cups lemon juice

1/2 cup Dem. Syrup (2 parts sugar to 1 part water)

4 cups Apple Cider

To taste Nutmeg, Allspice and Angostura.

Combine, add some 7up or Soda, and roll into a punch bowl. Add a big chunk of Ice.

You're reading minds now. This is almost identical (with the exception that I'll be using five-spice instead of the nutmeg/allspice/Angostura) to the punch I'm doing for my Hallowe'en party. Damn!

Mayur Subbarao, aka "Mayur"

Save yourself the extra work and the unattractive sludge created when using ground spices by making the simple syrup a spiced one. Here's my latest recipe for a spiced simple syrup I'm using in cocktails and my riesling-based Autumn Sangria.

Spiced Simple Syrup

(makes one gallon)

16 cups sugar

16 cups (one gallon) water

3 Tbs. Cassia chunks (available @Penzey's)

1.5 Tbs. whole cloves

10 cinnamon sticks, broken up

36 star anise

12 cardamon pods

2 tsp. whole black peppercorns

1.5 Tbs. red pepper flakes

Heat sugar and water – stir until sugar dissolves. Add spices and bring to a boil. Simmer, for 30-45 minutes stirring occasionally. Cool overnight and strain.

As for a Caramel Apple drink, Alchemist beat me to recommending the Berentzen's Apfelkorn apple schnapps. They rock and are infinitely tastier than Apple Pucker. I'd use a bourbon base, caramel syrup (the kind used for coffee drinks/lattes) and the Apfel Korn. A bit of citrus to dial back the sweetness - lemon or grapefruit juice ought to fine, or sour mix if you prefer. Should be delicious, if a bit sweet for my taste.

Edited by KatieLoeb (log)

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

A few years ago for a class, I made a drink with spiced concentrated apple cider, brandy, and lemon. For the presentation, I heated some caramel in a squeeze bottle, and squeezed a spiral of the caramel on the inside of frozen glasses. The caramel froze onto the glass, but as the drink warmed a little, the caramel melted into it. It's probably too much work for a party, though, unless you can do the glasses ahead of time and keep them in the freezer. I did an alternate presentation of a demerara sugared rim, though, which was also great.

I'm taking great interest in this thread.

I started another thread asking for some help on coming up with a list of cocktails for a party where I agreed to "play bartender". A few people suggested drinks with Applejack, but since I'm not familiar with that, I didn't really give it much thought.

But now, this thread is making me re-think things.. The party will be early November, in the middle of fall. I think apples just scream fall. Seems like going with something seasonal like this would be a fantastic idea.

a few questions. what IS Applejack? How is it different than apple brandy? One of the drinks suggested in the other thread was a Sidecar (a drink I really like). Could I do a riff on a Sidecar using apple brandy instead of regular brandy/congac??

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

Since we are getting a bit away from the canied apple idea, I'll keep going. Once again, i don't know how many people are going to be at your party, but if you make a punch, freeing you up for more intense bartending duties, how about something like this

2.0 oz Apple Jack (or 1.0 Apple Jack 1.0 oz Poire Williams)

.75 oz fresh lemon juice

.75 oz simple syrup

1 egg white

Add all ing. in a shaker. Mime shake. Add ice and shake HARD & FAST. Strain into glass of your choice. Angostura or fees old fashiond bitters on top as garnish.

Edit: Forgot bitters, duh!

Edited by Alchemist (log)

thanks. The punch you listed here sounds good, as does rlibkind's drink. His could make a great highball.

Anyway, maybe I'll go back to my other thread to continue the discussion there so others can get back to the specific caramel apple drink.

Jeff Meeker, aka "jsmeeker"

Thanks for all the replies. A lot of interesting ideas! It never occurred to me to throw spiced rum in the mix, but it sounds delicious.

The age range of the party is around 18-24, and most of my friends probably wouldn't appreciate an Old Fashioned, unfortunately. However, it's not gonna be massive, so more intensive drinks aren't out of the question. I'm gonna try some of the Old Fashioneds this weekend though...

Keep em coming! I'd drink anything you guys have offered so far.

• 4 weeks later...

Prepare a Caramel sugarsyrup.

2 parts sugar

1 part water

1 vanilla pod.

Put the water to boil.

Melt the sugar in a pan. Just when it turns brown you pour it into the boiling water (carefull! dont get it on yourself, its really hot, so be really carefull). Cut the vanilla and throw it in there. Let it boil for a couple of minutes.

Let it cool and strain.

the drink:

Muddle ½ a green aple with 1 lime wedge in a shaker.

Add your spirit (I've used Vanilla vodka and calvados, both works verry nice), take what you like.

Add The caramellsyrup.

Shake and doubble strain into a cocktailglass.