• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Soft shell lobster- can I "bisque it"?

Sony

Hi All,

Thinking about picking up a soft shell lobster for a special dinner this weekend. If anyone has any tips on how to pick a good one, please share the advice- I could use it!

But my main question is whether the soft shell variety could be used to produce bisque. Since this is a special purchase, I'd like to make sure I can make the most of it. Especially since soft shells are supposed to contain less meat than hard shells.....

Words of wisdom or caution would be greatly appreciated- thanks!

Sony,

In New England, soft-shell lobsters are the same creatures as hard-shell "Maine" lobsters (Homarus americanus), just the ones that have recently molted. Since they're growing into their new shells, there is less meat for their size and they are tend to be more watery than hard-shells. They are said to decline faster in storage, so I think the shopping tip would be 'look for a lively one.' I don't believe the flavor of the meat itself is appreciably different. I don't know whether there is any significant difference in the flavor that can be extracted from the shells in a bisque preparation, if that's what you're getting at. But I'm willing to bet it will be yummy, regardless. Of course, if you live in a different part of the world and soft shell lobster means something else entirely to you, then please disregard.

Fern

I have never found any benefit or advantage to soft-shell lobsters, but have always found their meat and flavor inferior. If there's a benefit, it's that you can crack through the claws with your fingers, but what meat you get is inferior to that of a hard shell lobster.

Are you specifially hoping to get a softshell lobster for any reason, or is that just what they're offering? They should be priced much less than hardshells (and usually for the reason that they're not as good).

I have never found any benefit or advantage to soft-shell lobsters, but have always found their meat and flavor inferior.

I've found the difference in texture more pronounced than any difference in flavor. Shedders are softer, less fibrous; hard shells are, well, tougher. As one Maine lobster pound explains: think of shedders as veal-like, hard shells as steak-like.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Are  you specifially hoping to get a softshell lobster for any reason, or is that just what they're offering?  They should be priced much less than hardshells (and usually for the reason that they're not as good).

No truly special reason- just that I'm celebrating an event this weekend, and my local market has them coming in only one day, so I thought I might give it a go. Pricing is $7.99/#, so I wouldn't consider it a steal.

If it's something of a delicacy, though, I'd treat myself and figure out the best method to use it as fully as possible.

Interesting about the texture difference, Bob. Maybe I've been lucky, but unless it's been overcooked in soup/stew, lobster never struck me as particularly tough.

And Fern, I'm living in Upstate NY, so I think we're talking about the same thing :wink: . Thanks for the tip about picking the feisty ones- I've never chosen one and could use the advice!