• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Boning chicken wings

mojoman

I ate at Minibar about a year ago and they served this great chicken wing dish. While the flavor was great, one of the things I really liked was that they boned out the wings.

Does anyone have any tips how to do this without mangling the thing?

Use a scalpel?

Can you only bone out the "forearm" (with radius and ulna counterpart) or can you do the "drumette" (humerus) too?

I would guess that the humerus would be easiest to bone, a vertical slit along the bone and then you could peel it off. Do you think they deboned it after is was cooked or before?

IIRC, it was the forearm part, not the upper arm.

I'm pretty sure it was boned prior to cooking.

Hi,

You can also begin at the end of the wing. Cut the skin around the large knuckle and scrape down along the bone, rolling the skin back. You can even roll right over the second knuckle. Finally cut the skin away from the bone and turn it inside out.

Tim