• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Korean and Thai for Children

I wanna try out the local Korean and Thai restaurants, of course Ill always bring my sidekick (aka son) with me...

What is good for a semi foodie kid, Not very spicy!

He loves sushi and Kimbap.

For Korean:

I have not see all of these in one restaurant but at least you can look to see if they have it. Although some I have seen only at home. I am sure other people have more ideas than mine but these are the ones off the top of my head. My niece doesn't like spicy at all and some these are her favourite.

Mandu in it s various forms, Bulgogi, Kalbi, Seng kalbi (unmarinated kalbi which you dip into sauce), All of the previous BBQ wrapped in lettuce leaves. Bibimbap, Rice cake/mandu soup, (vegetable, fish, meat, crab) chon, chap chae (mung bean noodles), White radish soup (mu guk), Meat ball soup (wang ja tang), bean sprout soup (kkong namul guk), Pan fried tofu, tofu marinated in soysauce (tubu jorim), Kamja jorim (marinated potatoes, somtimes they add a little hot pepper powder to this), Kalbi jim (Ribs braised in soy sauce eat with rice it is salty), mung bean pancakes (bindae ddeok), Stir fried Julienned potatoes (kamja namul), steamed egg (gaeran jim), Kalbi tang (short rib soup), Jjajjang myun (black bean sauce noodles). Then there are the desserts and teas.

Okay my brain is straining too hard now, but the sad thing is now I can only think of Pad Thai and sticky rice and mangoes for Thai. :unsure::sad: It is too early in the morning for me. I am going back to bed.

well, our kids were also happy to eat most Thai dishes toned down at first (I cunningly added Thai herbs to their homemade pureed babyfood when they were very small :smile: )

most of the starters are fine,fish/prawn cakes, gai pad bai toey (chicken in pandanus leaf) satay etc etc, tom kha gai(chicken cocnut soup), gaeng jued (clear broth with veg. and bean thread noodles), any pad priew wan (sweet and sour), any pao (grilled fish etc), gai yang (bbqed chicken) moo wan or moo knob (crsipy or glazed pork)mee krob (crsipy noodles) guay tiew (rice noodles) anything tom gaathi (boiled in coconut milk), the veggie dishes....actually I could go on and on....just ask for a dish or 2 to be 'mai pet' (not hot) or 'pet nitnoy' slightly spicy'....my daughter is 21 now and has just dumped a boyfriend for not liking spicy food :raz:

Edited by insomniac (log)

well, our kids were also happy to eat most Thai dishes toned down at first (I cunningly added Thai herbs to their homemade pureed babyfood when they were very small :smile: )

Now that is good long-term planning.

....my daughter is 21 now and has just dumped a boyfriend for not liking spicy food :raz:

A reward for outstanding parenting, to be sure.

When our boys were younger, their favorite choices at Thai restaurants were sate (a.k.a., "meat on a stick"), fried spring rolls, and fried rice. Perhaps not the most Thai dishes, but reliably available and always popular.