• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The New Organic Vineyard Is The Ugly Duckling

Don Giovanni

The New Organic Vineyard Is The Ugly Duckling

I hate to say it the beauty I see in a young vineyard seems ugly to most people…in such a superficial society where everything has to be perfect…Organic young vineyards are not beautiful at first glance…add biodynamic farming and they just might commit you to the vineyard insane society…people have to face the facts weeds are a naturally protecting shield when the bugs descend upon the field during the season…Organic sprays…soap, the shimmer of an old CD to keep the animals away…the smell of human hair and perfume that is discarded from beauty shops are a valuable commodity to us…as they are placed around the boundaries… yet we still can’t see the vines for the weeds…hold on using an eye magnifier you can see green vines among those weeds…vines 6 feet tall…with fruit dropped to aid in the development of the vine….as for the deer that deer fence with electric (solar) wire around the vineyard ….people often ask…what are you raising…after punching cattle in TX for a time many years ago…I shrug it off…taste the wine then tell me what you think…for this ugly duckling next year she will turn into a beautiful swan…when we crop our site where our tasting-room is…as for my other Organic interests they are looking real nice …the fruit this year what I have seen could be the vintage of a decade…and we just had that in 2001 and 2005…imagine 3 vintages of a decade in one…I feel blessed to be apart of this…I made a wine a Ice Wine in 2004 that will live for over 100 years …a bold statement…yet true…so when they lay me down to rest the joke will be on the world…I will have touched this world with sweat and blood…a legacy will have been left…now if G-D has years for me all the better…I have fulfilled my commandment of my religion…to plant a vineyard, as did Noah…life is good…no matter how the outside looks…it’s the ugly duckling that made this swan smile…