• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Gen Sushi Hibachi & Asian Grill

jtphjl

In the site of the Old Woolworths, and the former Ying/Yang Chinese Restaurant

15-17 E. Ridgewood Ave, Gen Hibachi & Asian Grill has opened. (201 493-1988)

I attended the opening with a friend a few weeks ago, and did not write on this site because, honestly, everything I had was so good, and I mostly had no idea of "what to call it!" :( ...and I had a little too much saki :)

Last night I finally returned -

Began with the Kinoko Soup ($3.00) (3 mushrooms in a Miso like broth) - the mushrooms were delicate and fresh - however, the broth a little too salty. My husband began the Hot and sour soup ($2.00) - devoured the piquant broth along with its morsels of tofu and pieces of mushroom. His dinner included a generous salad of simple mixed greens and one lonely cherry tomato, in a ginger dressing.

THe menu is divided between asian cuisine (Crisy whole bass (24.00), Portobella Mushroom and stir fry prawns ($20.00) Peking Duck (35.00) Chicken, chili and peannut sauce ($12.)) Prawns, Chicken and Snow Peas ($12.)

Rolls: Cucmber ($3.)), Smoked Salmon (5.), Tuna, California, Salmon or Yellowtail for $5.00

Chef's Special Rolls: Shrimp Tempura, tobiko and Cucumber ($7.00), a Saddle River (crawfish, crunch powder inside crab meat, spicy tuna and wasabi tobigo on the outside ($14.) the list here goes on...

Udon Noodle (chicken $13 Shrimp $16)

Sushi and Sashimi A la carte - average price $3.00 one piece per order

Hibachi (served with appetizer, noodle or brown/white/fried rice) - Chicken ($17) Steak ($20) Scallops ($20) Filet Mignon ($23), Lobster ($27).

There are also ($10.00), vegetable options such as Mapo Tofu Mushrooms and tofu, Fresh Golden Mushrooms with fried Tofu. asparagus with mushrooms , eggplant ad garlic sauce or string beans with garlic sauce.

I did not see the lobster roll appetizer ($13.) until I was walking out, however the description was delicious! And this is the only note regarding service that slightly disappointed -- there was no mention of specials or dessert.

For dinner, I had the Pink Leopard (Roll) - spicy crabmeat, avocado, cucumber and crunch (carrots!) wrapped in soybean paper. I also had the avocado salad, a hefty whole tender, ripe, avocado, sliced and served with a ginger dressing (on the sde). My husband had the Hibachi Shrimp dinner, fresh medium shrimp filled the plate with crunchy broccoli, onions, carrotts, - rice to the side.

We finisehd with fresh fruit of the day which was canteloupe, honeydew, watermelon and orange sliced ($5.00).

There is a sushi bar, private sitting area (small group) large room in the back with a wall size fish tank, or more airy seating by the window.

The lunch special is from 11 - 3:00 (Monday - Friday only) $11.00 for one item, $14.00 for two items, and the choice is : shrimp, scallops, chicken, steak, salmon and vegetables. Lunch comes with soup, salad, fried noodle or friend rice..

Also under lunch specials an array of Teriyaki, tempura, Udon and sushi specials were lsited on the menu.

Like most of Ridgewood, this is a bring your own place.

They deliver to Ridgewood, Midland park, Glen Rock and to parts of Ho-Ho-Kus and Waldwick with a $25.oo minimum.

Again, Saki is treated with care - options for warm or cold are offered, and heated, we were each presented with our own warmed saki decanters. (Nice touch!)

"When women are depressed, they either eat or go shopping. Men invade another country. It's a whole different way of thinking."

- Elaine Boosler