• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TN: Wine, food, etc.

Florida Jim

A composed plate of hummus, tomatoes, feta, sausages, Tzatziki and pita bread:

2005 Dom. Vissoux, Fleurie Poncie:

Perhaps my tenth (or so) note on this wine; I think it is shedding a bit of its initial flamboyance in favor of the feminine lilt of its Fleuire-ness but still, a lovely beverage that I am more than pleased to have in my glass. 12.5% alcohol, imported by Weygandt-Metzler and about $20; God’s gift to wine lovers.

Good with the meal but not great; the flavors meld, the balance is good but the enhancement factor is missing. Still, I am drinking my favorite wine, the food is good and my wife has returned from her trip – what’s not to like?

Eggplant (fresh from the garden), feta, tomato (fresh from the garden) sauce casserole, and, pasta with EVOO and thyme (fresh from the garden):

1995 Caprai, Sagrantino di Montefalco 25 Anni:

Since release, one of the most brutally tannic wines I have encountered; today it is still tannic but the tannins show like a talc of unsweetened chocolate and the fruit is black, deep, earthy and ever so slightly tinged with a vinyl smell (which dissipates); a rich wine and, for maybe the first time since release, more than palatable. 13.5% alcohol, importer unknown and about $70, on release; one of those wines that I regret ever becoming involved with – except for today, when it tastes good, has resolved to show something other than a crushing wall of tannin and pairs with the food as well as any wine possibly could – no chance I buy this again.

A killer match! The tannins melt into the sauce of the casserole, the flavors come alive and become layered, the dish seems to use the wine as a jumping off point to greater complexity and the total is more than its several parts. Astounding to me and Diane is very pleased – welcome home.

Smoked salmon spread and crackers:

1999 Hamacher, Pinot Noir:

Very young, Chambolle-Musigny, premier cru (from Oregon) – I can go on but that’s what it is and there isn’t much more to say. So, it’s not very ‘of its place’ but it is very good and it should stay unopened for at least 5-10 years. 13% alcohol and about $38 on release; I’d buy it again.

Not a good match but tolerable. The wine, however, is worthy of great praise, even enjoyed by itself.

(Aside: the very best 1999 Oregon, pinot noirs are very, very young and should not be opened for at least 5 years (probably more). If this isn’t the most long-lived vintage in Oregon, I have no idea what is.)

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com