• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Making Hot Dog Relish

Shel_B

Thus far I've not found any commercial hot dog relish that I like. They all tend to be too sweet. To be honest, there areen't too many brands around here that I've seen.

So, two things: first, are there any brands of hot dog relish that you like. Second, and and of greater interest, does anyone have a recipe or some suggestions for making a good hot dog relish? I'm not interested in anything that contains mustard, although mustard seeds might be just fine. I prefer a "pickle" type relish rather than cucumber, but I'm open to suggestions.

I was thinking that something with cornichons might work, maybe with some red pepper as well, but beyond that I haven't a clue.

Thanks,

Shel

... Shel

Funny you should ask. I just dragged out a recipe for Sweet Hot Pickle Relish which I got from Jeanne Lesem's Preserving Today.

Here are the ingredients:

¾ pound bell peppers, Preferably half red and half green

2 hot Chile peppers (each 5 to 6 India long)

¾ pound onions

2 ½ pounds unwaxed cucumbers

3 tablespoons coarse (kosher) salt, or 2 tablespoons uniodized table salt or pickling salt

3 cups cider vinegar

1 ¼ cups sugar

1 ½ teaspoons mustard seed

¾ teaspoon ground turmeric

1 tablespoon each of whole cloves and broken stick cinnamon

1 ½ teaspoons whole allspice

¾ teaspoon cracked nutmeg*

You stem and see the peppers. Pulse to chop the peppers, onions and cukes in a food processor. Should have a coarse texture. The amount should be about 8 cups.

Transfer to a large bowl, salt the veggies and weigh with a plate and then let stand for 12 hours or overnight.

Drain, rinse the veggies a couple of times. Transfer to a 4 Qt saucepan, add everything else but the spices. Create a spice bag for the seasonings and add to the pan. Simmer, uncovered, for an hour, stir occasionally.

Discard the spice bag before canning.

Thus far I've not found any commercial hot dog relish that I like.  They all tend to be too sweet.  To be honest, there areen't too many brands around here that I've seen.

I've seen no-sugar added pickle relish in my local grocery stores. They also sell dill pickle relish which isn't sweet at all.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver