• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

dessert wine

davebr

I love dessert wines. I hate those little glasses that most restaurants pour them into. I use a white wine glass. How many ounces is a proper pour?

Gorganzola, Provolone, Don't even get me started on this microphone.---MCA Beastie Boys

Dave,

No right or wrong on this one...I have seen 3/4 oz for a Ice Wine up to 1/2 glass or 2.5 oz in a glass...one customer drinks full glasses at dinner he tells me...very sweet and expensive...my problem with those small glasses is I have a large nose...this is good for winemaking...bad for drinking out of small glasses how in the #ell am I supposed to get my nose in the glass to enjoy the bouquet...

John

I'm not sure there's a right or wrong with most dessert wines.

Typically, a little dessert wine goes a long way because of how intensely flavored they (most of them) tend to be. Other factors that have contributed to smaller pours are that the foods often served with dessert wines tend to be smaller in portion size. After a meal do you want a large dessert? Dessert wines come at the end of the meal when there may not be a desire to continue consuming alcohol to the same degree.

Port is often served in smaller pours because it is higher in alcohol than table wine. But most dessert wines don't attain the alcohol levels of port and other fortified wines. In fact, some dessert wines have lower amounts of alcohol than even table wines. So we need another reason to limit pour size, some of which I've mentioned above. Of course, it's largely conjecture.

We cannot employ the mind to advantage when we are filled with excessive food and drink - Cicero