• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Better Way to Tackle Trans Fat?

MarketStEl

This just in, from the Pennsylvania Department of Health:

STATEWIDE TASK FORCE TO ADDRESS THE

HEALTH IMPACT OF TRANS FAT

HARRISBURG – State Health Secretary Dr. Calvin B. Johnson today announced the creation of a statewide task force to research and address the health effects of trans fat in food. The task force, which will begin meeting this month, will provide the Governor, health officials and state legislators with information and guidance needed to pursue action to reduce the negative health impact of trans fat.

[...]

The task force will create an educational report and resource guide to help the public better understand and avoid trans fat. In addition, the task force will review current trans fat legislation and best practices in other cities and states and make recommendations for use in Pennsylvania.

The task force was formed as the result of coordination between the Health Department and Rep. James Wansacz (D-Luzerne). Task force membership will include representatives from the state departments of Health, Agriculture, Aging and Education, local health departments, state legislature, Pennsylvania Restaurant Association, Pennsylvania Food Merchants Association, health advocacy organizations, Penn State University and food manufacturers.

At least it looks like they won't leave anybody relevant off the task force.

But do we want to make sure that any state laws that come out of this project don't override existing city ordinances? :rolleyes:

The resident nutritionist on our Hospitality Management faculty, Connie Holt, has her own two cents to say on the subject. I will be helping her craft it for public and media consumption.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

At least it looks like they won't leave anybody relevant off the task force.

Ahem...

gallery_14_356_7218.jpg

Obviously fellow traveler Governor Ed Rendell was not consulted on committee membership.

Otherwise I most certainly would have been appointed to defend our point of view.

Edited by Holly Moore (log)

Holly Moore

"I eat, therefore I am."

HollyEats.Com

Twitter

STATEWIDE TASK FORCE TO ADDRESS THE

HEALTH IMPACT OF TRANS FAT

HARRISBURG – State Health Secretary Dr. Calvin B. Johnson today announced the creation of a statewide task force to research and address the health effects of trans fat in food. The task force, which will begin meeting this month, will provide the Governor, health officials and state legislators with information and guidance needed to pursue action to reduce the negative health impact of trans fat.

Nothing like starting off with a foregone conclusion! :rolleyes:

Instead, how about a law mandating moderation in all things, including legislation and regulation? :hmmm:

SB (not a big fan of more government "task farce" :angry: )

NOT edited to correct spelling :laugh:

I thought you preferred your fat saturated, not partially hydrogenated, Holly.

My apologies. :biggrin:

--Sandy, awaiting your trip report and site additions on KC's best

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this up to call your attention to Connie Holt's comments, which appear on the Regional Commentary page of today's Inquirer.

Harrisburg-area members will see this in the Sunday Patriot-News. It's also slated to run in the Scranton Times-Tribune, the Morning Call in Allentown and the Delaware County Daily Times.