• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

En Papillote Without The Papillote

Shel_B

Maybe this is heresy, but this evening I got an idea for making an "en papillote" dish without using the traditional parchment or aluminum foil pouches. For a quick and easy preparation, just for myself, why not put the ingredients into a small, oven proof pyrex dish and cover the top with foil or a tight fitting lid, and then cooking as normal. How do you think the results might be? Also, I seem to recall some oven proof bags in which food could be cooked. Are there really such bags or is my memory playing tricks on me? Anyway, could such bags work?

Shel (just thinking out loud)

... Shel

It should work just as well.  I believe the _Joy of Cooking_ suggests this for a fish prepartation in a pyrex covered with foil.  The parchment is most useful for special presentations.

Thanks!

Shel

... Shel

It should work just as well.  I believe the _Joy of Cooking_ suggests this for a fish prepartation in a pyrex covered with foil.  The parchment is most useful for special presentations.

Here's a unique presentation suggestion: serve a fish filet over (jasmine rice) using, of all things, a flowerpot. Platefish on the terra-cotta saucer, flip the pot over and cover the fish/rice with it, and plug the drain hole with a bundle of fresh herbs, cook for appropriate time/temp in the oven.

Shel

... Shel

Maybe this is heresy, but this evening I got an idea for making an "en papillote" dish without using the traditional parchment or aluminum foil pouches. For a quick and easy preparation, just for myself, why not put the ingredients into a small, oven proof pyrex dish and cover the top with foil or a tight fitting lid, and then cooking as normal. How do you think the results might be? Also, I seem to recall some oven proof bags in which food could be cooked. Are there really such bags or is my memory playing tricks on me? Anyway, could such bags work?

Shel (just thinking out loud)

Shel,

There is Fata paper, which can be fashioned into clear cooking pouches. The pouches can be cooked on a hot surface (not over flame), microwaved, poached, baked, or fried in oil.

We saw this at JB Prince. FATA Paper

Tim

Shel,

There is Fata paper, which can be fashioned into clear cooking pouches.  The pouches can be cooked on a hot surface (not over flame), microwaved, poached, baked, or fried in oil.

We saw this at JB Prince.  FATA Paper

Tim

Thanks! I'll see if it can be found locally. Looks like a nice solution to my quest .

Shel

... Shel