• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Edit History

Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock

For years, I only liked to eat zucchini raw. I found the cooked stuff to be too bitter and the limp, watery, clear-ish flesh to be unappealing. Even breaded and deep fried just did not taste good. But, I recently discovered that I really like roasted, thinly sliced zucchini that has a lot of the moisture cooked out. -Almost tastes like artichokes. I cut them on a mandoline lengthwise to get strips, and lightly season with salt, orgegano, a little rosemary, and drizzle with olive oil. I cook until they shrink and the flesh is no longer clear. I have also done discs and half discs as well.

The cooked strips make a really good lasagna layer, or can replace the lasagna noodles if you like. They are also good in tarts and quiches, since almost all the water is gone, they don't make a dish watery. I recently topped a spinach tart with concentric circles of the half discs which made it look like a flower -there was virtually no shrinkage or movement of the zucchini when the tart was baked, keeping the design intact.

Lisa Shock

Lisa Shock

For years, I only liked to eat zucchini raw. I found the cooked stuff to be too bitter and the limp, watery, clear-ish flesh to be unappealing. Even breaded and deep fried just did not taste good. But, I recently discovered that I really like roasted, thinly sliced zucchini that has a lot of the moisture cooked out. -Almost tastes like artichokes. I cut them on a mandoline lengthwise to get strips, and lightly season with salt, orgegano, a little rosemary, and drizzle with olive oil. I cook until they shrink and the flesh is longer clear. I have also done discs and half discs as well.

The cooked strips make a really good lasagna layer, or can replace the lasagna noodles if you like. They are also good in tarts and quiches, since almost all the water is gone, they don't make a dish watery. I recently topped a spinach tart with concentric circles of the half discs which made it look like a flower -there was virtually no shrinkage or movement of the zucchini when the tart was baked, keeping the design intact.