• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sushi grade Salmon......

nonblonde007

A few days ago, I ordered Salmon online for a sashimi dinner. I do sooooo love sake sashimi! I still have a pound and a half left, frozen. It never thawed, I cut what I needed for dinner and promptly put the remainder in the freezer. First, how long will this be good for raw consumption? Second, Help! What would you do with this treasure? I prefer salmon raw, but would love some creative ways to prepair it. I also have some left-over Ikura that I wouldn't mind incorporating into a dish. The Uni, unfortunately, I was told not to freeze and was unable to eat all of it. :shock: I had to give the remainder to the dog...........Happy Dog!

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

I can never get enough tuna tartare/poke when I have extra. I've never made it from frozen but with judicious thawing, I guess it would be fine.

ETA: or Lomi-Lomi Salmon, or gravlax......or Spicy Salmon and Noodle Soup.......

OR Michel Richard's Fabulous Asparagus Salmon

I could go on forever.... :wink:

Edited by dockhl (log)

recipes..............please, give me recipes! I would love to try salmon tartare/poke, or any other preperation that doesn't mask the luscious butteriness of this fish a'natural.

Brenda

I whistfully mentioned how I missed sushi. Truly horrified, she told me "you city folk eat the strangest things!", and offered me a freshly fried chitterling!

http://www.aloha-hawaii.com/dining/poke/

Add a little wasabi to the recipe above too. Basically, shoyu, onion and sesame oil and chopped Thai chili pepper is good you can even throw in a little peanut butter. A little red Hawaiian salt is good.

Oops, forgot to add that you shouldn't leave it frozen for too long. The ice crystals will breakdown the fibers and make it mushy. At least that's what I was told when I bought fresh fish one day long ago.

Edited by Octaveman (log)

My Photography: Bob Worthington Photography

My music: Coronado Big Band

Salmon has an extended freezer life, as the oil content is quite high. But, saying that, I pulled one B.C. Spring out of the freezer the other day that had escaped my attention for some two years, and it had lost its texture. A nice flavour, but on the mushy and dry side. Still, for a matter of some weeks you don't have to fret.

It's a pity about the uni (but good for the dog). I've had it marinated Korean style, and it keeps well enough in the freezer. Chili paste, shredded seaweed, sesame seeds, and sesame oil. It is, of course, far better fresh......mmmm, I can taste it now.