• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

$1400 for Two Days as a Working Student

Carrot Top

Came across an article today from several years ago that still seems worth reading:

How to Boil Four-Star Water

I have tried pulling strings to snag a French Laundry reservation, worn out the redial button, and driven often past the restaurant's modest fieldstone building, once a brothel, with longing in my heart. But mostly my pals and I just grilled food at home.

Then, a friend alerted me to L'École des Chefs, a program that allows what its originator, Annie Jacquet-Bentley, refers to as ''passionate cooks'' to spend time as stagiers, or apprentices, in the kitchens of world-class chefs like Guy Savoy, Daniel Boulud and Mr. Keller. Founded in 1999, the program was soon folded into the upscale Relais & Châteaux syndicate. The affiliation added scores of chefs to the roster, so that now passionate and prosperous amateur cooks can hone their skills with one of nearly 100 professionals in 17 countries throughout North and South America, Europe, Asia and Africa.

The fee for two days in Mr. Keller's kitchen was $1,400. This was subject to approval of my application, and exclusive of other requirements like black chef's pants, black shoes with nonskid soles, and a tool list that read like the armamentarium for a battle of the Iron Chefs.

I applied. I was accepted. I drove to Yountville on a recent August day when the temperature hovered near 100 degrees. I was handed a French chef's coat, a French blue apron, and hugely to my surprise, was immediately put to work.

Fun reading.

I did bought into this program twice. Once, I spent a week at Le Bernardin and a few days at Jean Georges (both in NYC).

I could give you all the details you want. Overall, I had an awesome time. The only caveat I'd give you is that almost all the time (in my case) was spent with the kitchen staff, chef de cuisine and/or sous chefs. In both cases, I spent a little time with the "celebrity chef", more with Eric Ripert than Jean Georges (who was busy at the time getting ready to open his Chinese restaurant).

If you want to know any more, PM me.

-Mark-

---------------------------------------------------------

"If you don't want to use butter, add cream."

Julia Child

Thats awesome. My old Sous Chef from TFL was talked about in that article. His name is Ryan Fancher and he was the butcher at the time of that article. Brings back some memories.

Anyway, $1400 seems a little steep, since most restaurants will let someone stage for a day or two for free. With the exception of shooting the proverbial shit with TK, you get the same experience. I know when I was there, we would get at least 2 different stagieres everyday. It was a constant flow of new faces.

-Chef Johnny

John Maher
Executive Chef/Owner
The Rogue Gentlemen

Richmond, VA