• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Le Grand Pan

Margaret Pilgrim

Le Grand Pan is a new takeoff on the all-inclusive bargain entrecote restaurants, offering a cote de beouf, cote de veau, pork tenderloin or half lobster. That's it. The first three are priced for two people and range from 45€ to 47€. Lobster (one-half) is served for one person at 37€. First comes a garnished soup-plate and a good vegetable veloute served from a pitcher, good bread. Then a platter of meat, cooked as you wish, and sliced off the bone, salad and a bowl of garlic frites. Salad and frites seem to be "all you want". Quality (bulk) wines are available by the carafe at 7€ for 50cm to 29€ for 100cm depending on the wine. Dessert are the usual crumbles, chocolate mousse, etc.. We settled for coffee instead. Our tab was 59€ including 50cl wine and coffee.

20, rue Rosenwald, 15e

01 42 50 02 50

Closed Saturday noon and Sunday

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)

eGullet member #80.

Le Grand Pan is a new takeoff on the all-inclusive bargain entrecote restaurants, offering a cote de beouf, cote de veau, pork tenderloin or half lobster. That's it.  The first three are priced for two people and range from 45€ to 47€. Lobster (one-half) is served for one person at 37€.  First comes a garnished soup-plate and a good vegetable veloute served from a pitcher, good bread. Then a platter of meat, cooked as you wish, and sliced off the bone, salad and a bowl of garlic frites. Salad and frites seem to be "all you want".  Quality (bulk) wines are available by the carafe at 7€ for 50cm to 29€ for 100cm depending on the wine.  Dessert are the usual crumbles, chocolate mousse, etc..  We settled for coffee instead.  Our tab was 59€ including 50cl wine and coffee.

We had dinner yesterday.Margret's description is accurate.The cote de boeuf is served with a delightful vinaigrette sauce with shallots and was deliceous.side order of girolles was just right

The place is very French and straightforward .This an enjoyable place at a resonable price.

Much as I respect both Margaret and Pierre45, (Disclosure, both of whom I have met,) they made a mistake - that is, eating dinner here. As I've said elsewhere, eat at lunch, here or at Spring or elsewhere. At Le Grand Pan, my first time there were

lots of regular dishes (3 fish, several meats) plus 4 plats for 2 (beef, veal and pork), firsts and desserts (from light melon soup to a big éclair). My downstairs neighbor and I agreed to split the interesting-sounding stuff: so she started with a millefeuille of veggies draped with crisp belly bacon and accompanied by a pesto sauce and I the absolutely spectacular coques and mussels sitting atop a cold (perfect on this hot, humid day) platform of eggplant caviar. Then she had the daurade (whose skin was crisply crunchy) with a side sauce of intense tomato and maybe pepper – pretty damn good, while I had what said it was pork cheeks in red wine but looked and tasted more like a splendid beef or veal stew and fell apart on touch and was draped with foie gras with a tasty polenta (my guest announced it the best of her lifetime) side.
The second time, with 4 persons, for lunch Colette had raie with "a really good sauce" and side portion of mushrooms and puree of celeriac and potatoes and a good rice pudding for dessert. The rest of us ate equally well, with none of the "twofer" things. Caveat night-eater!

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Much as I respect both Margaret and Pierre45, (Disclosure, both of whom I have met,) they made a mistake - that is, eating dinner here.  As I've said elsewhere, eat at lunch, here or at Spring or elsewhere.  At Le Grand Pan, my first time there were
lots of regular dishes (3 fish, several meats) plus 4 plats for 2 (beef, veal and pork), firsts and desserts (from light melon soup to a big éclair). My downstairs neighbor and I agreed to split the interesting-sounding stuff: so she started with a millefeuille of veggies draped with crisp belly bacon and accompanied by a pesto sauce and I the absolutely spectacular coques and mussels sitting atop a cold (perfect on this hot, humid day) platform of eggplant caviar. Then she had the daurade (whose skin was crisply crunchy) with a side sauce of intense tomato and maybe pepper – pretty damn good, while I had what said it was pork cheeks in red wine but looked and tasted more like a splendid beef or veal stew and fell apart on touch and was draped with foie gras with a tasty polenta (my guest announced it the best of her lifetime) side.
The second time, with 4 persons, for lunch Colette had raie with "a really good sauce" and side portion of mushrooms and puree of celeriac and potatoes and a good rice pudding for dessert. The rest of us ate equally well, with none of the "twofer" things. Caveat night-eater!

Thanks John.This is quite interesting.I will try them at lunch