• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Canadian 4th of July

srhcb

Wear plaid flannel, and put vinegar or gravy on your french fries, eh! :biggrin:

SB (lives just 80 miles South of the Great White North, and is often mistaken for a Canadian despite eating his fries with ketchup :laugh: )

Well, this Canadian celebrated Dominion Day (remember when it was called that?) with barbecued tri-tip, white and wild rice melange, and a big ass green salad. Oh, did I forget to mention the beer?

:cool:

My American friends were very supportive of the effort (read: they drank lots of beer too). The Germans around the corner will be hosting the fesitivities on the 4th...

I had Copper River sockeye on a cedar slab over maple charcoal, with potatoes and peppers also grilled. The salmon reminded me of good B.C. sockeye, but it is too soon for that run. The grilling was accompanied by lots of "Fin du Monde" Quebec lager.

We enjoyed our Canada Day tradition of drinking beer and eating pork. The Etobicoke Rib Fest is held on the Canada Day long weekend each year. A day devoted to celebrating Canada and a festival devoted to smoked pork, what could make a better day?

Fonduefest - now in its 5th year as a tradition. Everyone shows up with either a fondue or a salad. We drink a lot of whatever. Extremely fun. There were several cheese fondue incarnations, one oil/meat, one shrimp with cream and wine, and at least two chocolate fondues for dessert served with beautiful local strawberries and rice krispie squares.

A good time was had by all.