• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Do we taste fat in wine? The 'sixth' taste ?

Don Giovanni

Do we taste fat? The sixth taste ?

Click On Me

Five sub-modalities allowing the perception of sweet, salty, sour, bitter, and umami stimuli are classically depicted. However, the inborn attraction of mammals for fatty foods raises the possibility of an additional orosensory modality devoted to fat perception.

More info...just to be clear...the fat I talk about is a note in wines...yes with wine you do get a fat sensation with the burgs most often and some Cali wines... this is bacon fat...this comes from the oak and the interaction with the wine... the relation to cool climates...so it was in relation to wine...sorry if I was not clear...cheers !

Even more info...Tongue sensors seem to taste fat

Receptor may determine desire for dietary fat

By Jim Dryden

Click On Me

In the mouse experiments conducted by the researchers at the University of Bourgogne in Dijon, the rodents were fed two solutions: one laced with fat and the other containing a gummy, fat-free substance that mimicked the feel of fat in the mouth. Normal mice preferred the fatty solution, but mice that had been genetically engineered without the CD36 receptor protein didn't have that preference. In additional experiments in laboratory rats, the scientists found that removal of the CD36 gene kept the animals' intestines from initiating secretion of digestive juices necessary to digest fat.
Edited by Don Giovanni (log)

Fat to me seems more of a textual concept rather than a flavour in regards to wine. On the other hand many Rhone Syrah's have that distinct bacon fat aroma...so who knows.

Stephen Bonner

"who needs a wine list when you can get pissed on dessert" Gordon Ramsey Kitchen Nightmares 2005

MY BLOG