• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

New Farmer's Market at Headhouse Square

I asked about the pickle folks.  Brian from the Food Trust told me they'd called them with a reminder.  I hope it was just a bad hair day or something like that.  They missed at least one customer this past Sunday.

It's not quite the same, but you know you can buy their pickles at Whole Foods, right? The amazing hummus that's sold at the farmers' market is also available at Whole Foods.

I don't know if the producer gets more of the proceeds when you buy the hummus or pickles at Headhouse Square -- the price is the same at Whole Foods and at the market -- but I'm glad they get some additional exposure.

I asked about the pickle folks.  Brian from the Food Trust told me they'd called them with a reminder.  I hope it was just a bad hair day or something like that.  They missed at least one customer this past Sunday.

It's not quite the same, but you know you can buy their pickles at Whole Foods, right? The amazing hummus that's sold at the farmers' market is also available at Whole Foods.

you mean bobbi's? that's good stuff.

they used to make a black bean habanero dip that was awesome, but they don't make it anymore. it was really really hot, but had lots of flavor -- it wasn't just a chili bomb.

you can get bobbi's at the south square supermarket (and it's cheaper than whole foods) on south and 23rd.  don't sleep on Byblos hummous from Sue's produce!

and you can get those amazing pickles at Bacchus on 23rd and spruce.

Also cheaper than Whole Foods, or same price?

If the latter, I'll hope they turn up at Head House Square first. The retailer always gets a cut, so buying direct from the manufacturer means more money in their pocket.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

you mean bobbi's? that's good stuff.

they used to make a black bean habanero dip that was awesome, but they don't make it anymore. it was really really hot, but had lots of flavor -- it wasn't just a chili bomb.

Yup, I mean Bobbi's. Their hummus rocks. The tub size is a little large for one person but it's worth the effort; it's so garlicky and delicious...

I think they're local -- maybe you could talk them into making the black bean habanero stuff again.

Matt, South Square, really? I always thought they were super-sketch. But they are two blocks from my house so maybe I'll have to venture in there for some Bobbi's... I particularly like the black bean hummus, which looks like disgusting gray putty (spackle?) but is probably my favorite hummus ever.

my original post above said that i found them at Headhouse.  so they're there and you had them there, right?

That's where I discovered them! (The pickles, that is.)

are they at whole foods?

Diann says they are.

You had said that Bacchus also carried them; I had asked if they sold them for less than Whole Foods did. Upthread, Diann said that both the hummus and the pickles cost the same at Whole Foods as they do at the Head House market.

ISTR they were going for $6 at the Head House market.

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

Matt, South Square, really? I always thought they were super-sketch. But they are two blocks from my house so maybe I'll have to venture in there for some Bobbi's... I particularly like the black bean hummus, which looks like disgusting gray putty (spackle?) but is probably my favorite hummus ever.

nah, south square is fine. it's run by the same folks who run rittenhouse market at 18th & spruce. i mean, it's kind of overpriced and doesn't have that great a selection, but there's nothing actually WRONG with it.

• 4 weeks later...

Today's haul.

Two delicato squash. $3

HUGE bag of broccoli. $1

Six Hosui Asian pears from Northstar. :wub: $5.80

Smallish piece of Telford Farms Cheddar Blue. $5

Three gorgeous lumpy yellow and red tomatoes. $3

Small dish of radishes from the Asian produce dude. .50

Small handful of incredibly fragrant basil sprigs. .50

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

The Headhouse Farmers Market had hoped to find a way to stay open all winter, but is pulling back from that plan for this winter. But there are two year-round farmers' markets, sponsored by the Food Trust (as is Headhouse): Clark Park (Saturdays, 10 a.m.-2 p.m.) and Fitler Square (Saturdays, 10 a.m. - 1 p.m.)

The Headhouse Market will remain open through the Sunday before Christmas, Dec. 23, according to Nicky Uy, market manager. The only Sunday they'll miss between now and then will be the Sunday after Thanksgiving, since the market will be open on the day before Thanksgiving. Expect the seasonal shutdown to end when the market reopens next spring on May 4.

I stopped by the Hendricks Farm stall today and, after sampling, picked up their Tomme. Telford, Pennsylvania, may not be the Franco-Swiss Alps, but this cheese is worthy of the name. I also bought a pound of their bacon.

My most exciting find, however, was over at Old Earth Farm where the sign said they had lamb ribs for $5/pound. If these were rib chops (as the young man serving me said they were), that is a bargain price. But I doubted it and, sure enough, they weren't chops. I could hardly be disappointed, however, since the product available at this price was breast of lamb, commonly called "riblets" and, in this case, mis-labeled as "rack of lamb" (rack of lamb usually refers to rib chops which have not been separated). Lamb breast is one of my favorite cuts, so I bought the package of frozen meat and stuck it in the freezer for future use. For you hard-core sheep meat lovers me like, be aware that Old Earth Farms plans to produce some mutton, too. They also raise Tamworth hogs, a heritage breed from the U.K. which is noteworthy for its meaty, relatively lean bacon. (I think I'll special order a couple of pounds of fresh belly for roasting this winter!)

North Star Orchards had some interesting varieties of apples, all at $1.79, iirc. I purchased a couple of golden and razor russets. I enjoyed the razor russet at lunch today: nice and crisp, just sweet enough without being cloying, with sufficient tart bite to make it interesting. A very worthy apple. If my fridge's produce bin did not already have a full peck remaining of Cox Orange Pippins purchased in Massachusetts last month, I would have bought more. (The man who served me at North Star said the reason he and other Pennsylvania growers don't do Cox Orange is because it's still warm when they ripen here in early to mid-September, and they turn to mush when it's warm. Upstate New York and New England offer more favorable weather during harvest. See, you learn something new every day!)

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

• 1 month later...

I picked up some nice celeriac, shallots, hot lemon peppers and delicato squash today, in addition to snacking on a Taco al Pastor for lunch from Taquitos de Puebla. Nice looking baked goods today as well, although I resisted the temptation.

Headhouse Market will be open this Wednesday from 10AM-until they run out for that last minute bit of holiday shopping. Mighty convenient of them to do that. If I think of anything I've missed I can just bolt up the block before work on Wednesday. Nice. :smile:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

• 2 weeks later...

Went to Headhouse the Sunday before Thanksgiving, and also the Wednesday (day before).

Hendrick's didn't show up either time.

Shame, that. I knew it was their last weekend there, and I was going to spend lots of money and stock up.

Rumor had it that Hendrick's and Good Earth Farm were offered space at Reading Terminal.

But, someone said it was a five year contract, which is awfully long for a small farm to realize if they can handle that kind of volume.

Philly Francophiles

one of the people at hendricks said they were indeed going to be at the terminal, when i talked to them about it a couple weeks ago. but that was just casual conversation -- i didn't ask them about their contract or anything.

be a bummer if they aren't around in the winter.

we get our raw milk from sue's produce now, since i've either missed the market or they haven't been there for a couple weeks. sue's is carrying good stuff, in returnable glass bottles. and unlike hendricks farms, it separates into cream and milk. i asked the folks at hendricks about that one time, and they said something about using some of the cream for something else, but that didn't really explain it to me. not that it stopped me from buying it or anything...

That five-year lease commitment rumor for Hendricks, Olde Earth Farm or any other daystall vendor is b.s. They would be offered day rates, since they wouldn't be there every day. And day rates do not involve long-term lease obligations. Livengood pays a day rate, as would any other farmer/artisan food-maker who wasn't there fulltime. (If you prorated the day rates on an annual basis, they'd be higher than what a merchant with a lease agreement pays, but then, the daystall operator is only there two days a week, tops.) I would expect there would have to be some additional fees paid to the RTM if space for a refrigerator was required, even if only in a storage area, but it wouldn't be anything to break the bank.

RTM management is keen to bring in more direct sellers like Earl Livengood, Hendricks and Olde Earth, and to make that happen they want to structure deals that makes it worthwhile for such sellers.

For full-time vendors a firm lease agreement is a necessity, but not for farmstands. Even the Fair Food Farmstand gets a break compared to other vendors with full-time, permanent stalls. The market is committed to doing whatever it can to bring in more food sold directly by the grower/maker.

My guess is the five-year rumor is because that's probably the term of the standard lease agreement for the permanent vendors. That's not the case for those who sell from tables or less-permanent venues within the market.

Robert's Market Report

Went to Headhouse the Sunday before Thanksgiving, and also the Wednesday (day before).

Hendrick's didn't show up either time.

Shame, that. I knew it was their last weekend there, and I was going to spend lots of money and stock up.

Many of Hendrick's cheeses are available at the Fair Food Farmstand at the RTM, which is open Tuesday-Sunday.

Edited to correct days of operation for Fair Food Farmstand

Edited by rlibkind (log)

Robert's Market Report

Only seven vendors braved the weather today at Head House Square: one baker, three produce sellers, a coffee seller, a confectioner and one other I can't recall. I was glad to see the baker, Versailles; they make the most authentic baguettes around, and their pastries ain't chopped liver, either. Market Manager Nicky Uy expects a more complete roster next Sunday and other Sundays through Dec. 23.

Robert's Market Report

Today's Headhouse Square Market doubled the number of vendors from last week, when only seven braved the snow to trek into the depths of Philadelphia. Showing up this week were:

<ul><li>A.T. Buzby, produce

<li>Birchrun Hills Farm, cheese

<li>Betty's Tasty Buttons, fudge

<li>Demarah, soaps

<li>Griggstown Quail Farm & Market

<li>Hillacres Cheese

<li>Queens Farm, produce

<li>Margerum's Herbs

<li>Mountain View Poultry

<li>Old Earth Farm, produce

<li>Stargazer Vineyard

<li>Three Springs Fruit Farm

<li>Versaille Baking

<li>Woodland Produce</ul>This was only the second week for Woodland Produce, but if their first week is any example, it will be a profitable one. Last week owner Maury Sheets sold out an hour before market closing. He specializes in greenhouse-grown, hydroponic salad greens (although some root veggies and squashes were also on the table this week), primarily selling to Philadelphia restaurants, as well as through the Fair Food Farmstand at the Reading Terminal Market.

Noel Margerum was selling fall veggies as well as preserves, relishes and dried herbs. Noel and her sister Carole rotate among the city's farm markets, including Clark Park and Fairmount.

Although the market continues for the next two Sundays, this week was probably the last of the season for Three Springs Fruit Farm (the Wenk family). Their orchard fruit is also available at the Fair Food Farmstand. Today I bought a couple of huge Rome apples which I plan to simply bake with some brown sugar or honey.

Old Earth Farm is out of stock of meat, at least for a month or so until their piglets reach market size. Since Headhouse will be closed then, you can call the farm or get on its mail list to be notified when their Tamworth porkers are is available: www.oldearthfarm.com or 610 779-9035.

If you've become hooked on those pot pies from Griggstown, fear not when Headhouse Square closes for the season. Like the output of many other vendors, these, too, are available at Fair Food Farmstand.

What I won't be able to find elsewhere once the market closes for the season are the wonderful baguettes and croisssants from Versailles Baking. The Pennsauken boulanger only sells retail at the Headhouse and Haddonfield markets. Otherwise all their customers are wholesale accounts.

Robert's Market Report

What I won't be able to find elsewhere once the market closes for the season are the wonderful baguettes and croisssants from Versailles Baking. The Pennsauken boulanger only sells retail at the Headhouse and Haddonfield markets. Otherwise all their customers are wholesale accounts.

their pastries are pretty good, but i was unimpressed with the breads i bought from them. both the baguette and the country white loaf i bought had a weird texture, almost crumbly. like, they didn't hold together that well when you sliced them.

their pastries are pretty good, but i was unimpressed with the breads i bought from them. both the baguette and the country white loaf i bought had a weird texture, almost crumbly. like, they didn't hold together that well when you sliced them.

And this might be kind of obvious, but stay away from their bagels, which have a very un-bagel-like texture and are oddly salty to boot.

Their croissants are okay-- I don't love them, but I still buy them-- but I really like their cheese danishes. Those are great.

Hmmm. The pastries aren't bad (some are very good, particularly the parmentier), but I think the baguettes are the real thing, much more like the baguettes I've had in my limited trips to France than the ones found at Le Bus and Metropolitan (though they are good in their own way, too) in that Versailles' are breadier and less airy. I've actually found the baguettes less crumbly than the others, but I haven't tried the country loafs. Just from the look of the bagels I wouldn't go near them.

Robert's Market Report

Trust me, they're not the real thing, those baguettes.

I REALLY wanted them to be. The owner is French, we spoke together, he's a nice guy.

That old saying about "the water" is true, I guess.

Neither the baguettes, nor the croissants from Versailles- have the crumb right.

And I know, he knows what he's doing...

The closest we've found is Fork, Etc.'s baguettes.

For awhile, Almanac, in NoLib, carried the artisinal guy's baguettes from South Philly, but I heard that he closed down? I'm not sure where Almanac's is getting there's now. It's still pretty good, probably a close second to Fork's.

Philly Francophiles

Trust me, they're not the real thing, those baguettes.

I REALLY wanted them to be. The owner is French, we spoke together, he's a nice guy.

That old saying about "the water" is true, I guess.

Neither the baguettes, nor the croissants from Versailles- have the crumb right.

And I know, he knows what he's doing...

The closest we've found is Fork, Etc.'s baguettes.

For awhile, Almanac, in NoLib, carried the artisinal guy's baguettes from South Philly, but I heard that he closed down? I'm not sure where Almanac's is getting there's now. It's still pretty good, probably a close second to Fork's.

Artisan Boulanger (I presume that's who you mean, they're at 12th and Morris) is still open, and the baguettes are as great as ever. Especially the sourdough, yum..

When is the last day for the Headhouse market?

Edited by Buckethead (log)