• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Freezer Burnt Frozen Pea Soup

robyn

Who among us has not bought a bag of frozen veggies - tossed it in the freezer - and forgotten about it for a year or more? When they're frozen into a solid block - and all kind of withered up and yucky looking. I plead guilty.

I found a recipe in the NYT for pea soup (cold spring variety - not split pea) - and changed it a bit to use freezer burnt peas. It's very simple.

Take the peas - which in my case is usually a mix of sugar snap peas and regular peas (plain - nothing with butter or sauce or the like). Mix the peas with chicken broth (I use Campbell's chicken broth - but use whatever you like). A ratio of about 1 pound of peas to about 3 cups of broth. Bring to a boil - covered (not too fast) - and then simmer for about 10-12 minutes.

Cool for a few minutes - and then blend with an immersion blender. Then press the mixture through a chinois (there will be a lot of fibery stuff left even after a full court press). I have to say that of all the kitchen gadgets I've bought in the last 3 years - the immersion blender (or - as Emeril would say - the "boat motor") and the restaurant quality chinois (bought it at Sur La Table) are the greatest. If you think you can't make soup - try these 2 items. They'll turn your efforts from dreary to dazzling.

Add pepper (there should be enough salt in the broth) and some sour cream or cream to taste. Chill and serve with maybe a dollop of sour cream. That's it. The pea soup goes nicely with smoked salmon/herbed cream cheese tea sandwiches.

I plan to try this technique with other freezer burnt veggies. Will let you know how it goes (summer is a great time for chilled soups). Robyn

My son loves chilled soups, so thanks for this! Will try it soon. Although peas never get left in my freezer that long. We like them too much!

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.