• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Cooking Master Boy

jumanggy

Talking about my cooking influences allowed this gem of a cartoon from Japan to resurface in my memory. Cooking Master Boy (Chuuka Ichiban in Japan, meaning "China's Best") is the story of Liu Mao-Hsing, an apprentice chef who takes part in one earth-shattering kitchen battle after another to become China's best chef, in the process saving the country and stuff like that.

It's a family-friendly show and I encourage all lovers of chinese cuisine, the Iron Chef series, anime, or if you have kids who love to cook, to watch it: this is the show for them. I got to learn about so many Chinese dishes watching this show, and even learned a few things about cooking fried rice, making dumplings (steamed and fried), making tofu (Mabo Tofu is dealt with in a 3- or 4- episode story arc. Better believe it), cooking vegetables, plating and presentation, and using knives. Of course most of it is fantasy and silly fun, but fun nonetheless.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_quer...king+master+boy

Watch a few snippets on YouTube to see if it's for you. Unfortunately no official DVDs are out (though there are anime-enthusiast-made recordings).

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

Thanks for this. I loved the first installment and will seek out the series via Torrents. It has that anime style that I can find tiring to watch after awhile when overdone but it's a bit more user friendly then most and the food subject makes it irresistible.

It reminds me of YAKITATE about the adventures of a young baker with SOLAR HANDS! that he uses to develop a unique Japan bread.

Solar hands? Interesting...

The torrents do exist, search at torrentz.com. I've been looking at synopses:

http://members.optusnet.com.au/davidlee1/chuuka/episode.htm

I realize that some of the things that wowed me when I first saw the series (during the "noodles but not noodles" challenge, Mao places some puree in a perforated bag and extrudes noodles), I saw later on in Iron Chef Japan. Some of the dishes are really inspired and could work in real life.

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.