• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

TN: Quick tastes

Florida Jim

Brief impressions from a tasting:

2005 de Villaine, Aligote Bouzeron:

Tremendous aromatics but the palate has a perm solution note that I find typical of the variety and unappealing. I suspect that people who enjoy the variety will find this exceptional. About $15.

2005 Bruno Colin, Bourgogne Chardonnay:

Just a whisper too much oak for me but most people will find this terrific quality for the price. Sensational balance. About $19.

2006 Dom. Fonsiante, Corbieres Gris de Gris:

A very fine, very dry rosé with excellent fruit and precision. About $11.

2005 Bruno Colin, Bourgogne Pinot Noir:

Citrus and cranberry on the nose and palate with some grip. Not my style of Burgundy but not even close to being new world-ish. About $19.

2005 Frederic Mablieau, St. Nicolas de Bourgueil:

Holy mother of sweet Jesus in the morning! – this is a single taste and I never put much stock in them but this is rockin’ good; complex, full, dense, integrated and grippy – so I bought a bottle and will have it with food later this week and report back. About $13.

2005 Tikalo, Albaliza:

About 65% tempranillo and 35% grenache; balanced, solid wine that is a little confected but not so much as to be offensive. About $7.

2004 Clarendon Hills, Grenache Hickinbotham:

Not terrible but definitely “cocktail” wine and a bit sugary for this taster. Not my style. About $50.

Best, Jim

www.CowanCellars.com