• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Rutts Hutt - What???

Sheri-FB

The different dogs at Rutt's:

In and outer: cooked just enough to eat. The skin isn't burst open.

Ripper: cooked till the skin bursts open. Ask for just a hot dog, and this is what you'll get.

Weller: Well done. Cooked a little longer than the ripper. My favorite.

Cremator: Almost black. Too well done. But some prefer it this way.

Rutt's dog is unique and it fascinates me to listen to opinions on their hot dogs because they vary so much. Many consider them the best hot dogs on the planet. Others hate them (my family). Still others think they're just average. Even if you don't like hot dogs, the tap room is a great place to have a beer and a meal. I haven't tried it yet, but a friend of mine says that they have a great delmonico steak for about $!0.00. Their entrees and specials are supposed to better than what you would expect from a hot dog joint. I don't know, but I would believe it. Everything I've had there is good. But I always have hot dogs with side dishes. Great cole slaw and gravy fries. I hate onions, but have heard that their onion rings are on a par with Syd's. This is a place that you have to experience at least once.

John the hot dog guy

Let's plan to meet up at Rutt's one evening in the next couple of weeks. Like a Wednesday around 7:00 PM. My old man told me that the back used to be the front, and vice versa before the highway was built. It's also fun to go on Tuesdays during the summer as they have a car show in the parking lot.

March 5th or 11th is good for me. Any takers?

Let's plan to meet up at Rutt's one evening in the next couple of weeks.  Like a Wednesday around 7:00 PM.  My old man told me that the back used to be the front, and vice versa before the highway was built.  It's also fun to go on Tuesdays during the summer as they have a car show in the parking lot.

March 5th or 11th is good for me.  Any takers?

i could be convinced, depending on my schedule. seems like a fun idea.

can anyone offer directions to this hot dog haven? :biggrin:

It's in Clifton, NJ about two miles west of the Sports Complex

NJ 3 west or east to NJ 21 north. Take the first exit north of 3.

Go up the exit ramp, cross over 3, turn left at the stop sign. Rutt's is about 1,000 feet on your left, between the road and NJ 21.

Wednesday night is biker night. Rutt's attracts (attracted?) a wide range of diverse types, so eGulleteers should fit right in.

The Royal Grill is another 3-4 exits north on NJ 21, so a round robin taste taste is possible

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo