• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bugs Taste Funny

doviakw

I came across an article in Science News about the spread of an Asian ladybug that is causing foul tastes in wines from grapes in infested vineyards. Apparently, chemical manufactured by the ladybugs cause aromas and tastes of peanuts, bell pepper and asparagus.

The article at Science News Online is from the May 5, 2007, Vol 171 edition of the magazine.

I have often wondered about excessive "bug loads" causing off flavors in wine. Does anyone know how much of a problem this really is?

You ask a hard question when we had the MALB infestation a few years back...all you needed was a very few to get a peanut butter stench that would send anyone running...every harvest brings new challenges...I have seen voles pressed and snakes...etc...so it's not just a bug thing...every where you turn you have to deal with this or that...so you just can't quantify it...you deal with this each year in one form or another...