• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

What would You Serve?

jcho

Help! I've been asked to provide all of the chocolates for about 50 people for a 2-hour event at which chocolates will be served alongside champagne and strawberries. So...What would you serve? I've learned from previous threads that the chocolate should be dark, to best go with the champagne, and that many of us don't care for chocolate-covered strawberries.

Does anyone here know of any rule of thumb for judging how many chocolates per person? The event is 7-9pm, before or during dinner hour for many folk around here, so I think we have to expect people to arrive hungry.

Are there ingredients to be absolutely avoided as being really bad with champagne (or for another reason I haven't considered)? I think I probably won't want to do anything with caramel, or any pieces that can't be finished in two bites.

Thank you, thank you for any help/advice/encouragement anyone can provide.

Jennifer

What is your deadline? That rules a lot of things out. Amounts, I dunno. I would think 4-5 pieces per person minimum. Those who haven't had dinner yet probably wont want to fill up on chocolate, and those that have eaten dinner will be full and looking for a little nibble. That's my thinking at least. YMMV.

The chocolate fountain and dipping items, while a tad cliche, is still great fun. Rent two and you can do white and dark chocolate. Or you can do little champagne shooter cups, in different types (milk, dark, white, semisweet) for people to mix and match. If they want chocolate and strawberries, they can put a strawberry in a cup, or try the champagne with different combos as well. It's interactive and customisable. What's not to love? And less work for you.

Dark chocolate ice cream or gelato. I remember judges on Iron Chef America raving about it, and it sounds like a smashing idea.

Russian Roullete chocolates. Make a big batch of whatever shape you want, but 1 out of 10 will be spiked with habenero. Make sure they know what they are grabbing for, and watch the hilarity ensue. My personal all time favorite (it's like crack. Seriously) is milk chocolate covered peanut brittle. I know it's not the first combo that jumps to people's minds, but it is quite good and super addictive. These two will become the talk of the party, I bet.

Screw it. It's a Butterball.

Bittersweet choco is definitely my preferred choice, but I wouldn't limit yourself to that. You're going to want to provide a wide enough selection of tastes, but not too many to overwhelm people. I think 5 or 6 choices will be good. Be sure to have at least one "plain" one. I could eat 10 chocolates, but most people will just eat 2 or 3. Having fresh fruit would offer a nice palette break without the technical complications of a sorbet or ice cream. I think you're going to want to bring out the fruity essences of the champagne. Perhaps fruity truffles like strawberry, raspberry, or even banana. A lot depends on the champagne itself, and how far creatively you can go depends on your crowd. If it's dry, you might want to complement it with milk choco. Or perhaps play with how people describe champagne, "dry with notes of pear and citrus.." you know how it goes.

When I hear "chocolate champagne social" I think it's more of a classic thing and not an adventurous foodie thing. It's super sad that most people aren't too adventurous so you're chipotle chocolates might sit untouched (although I'd eat them). BTW, I could eat an entire basket of chocolate covered strawberries so I don't know who said nobody likes 'em.

Edited by sugarseattle (log)

Stephanie Crocker

Sugar Bakery + Cafe

Yeah, I'm sorry if I come across as really tacky, but I'd like to eat one of those strawberries dressed up with a dark/white chocolate tuxedo served at the Academy awards some time ago...

Mark

The Gastronomer's Bookshelf - Collaborative book reviews about food and food culture. Submit a review today! :)

No Special Effects - my reader-friendly blog about food and life.

Thank you all! I will go ahead with the strawberries in chocolate, as they are classic and probably expected. The hostess got back to me to announce guests may be up to 100 and to request 12 50-pce trays, so the guesswork is gone. I'll do what she wants, and I won't talk her out of one or two milk offerings. The fountain will be my fall-back position in case the heat is just too too much (I forgot to add this will be in an upstairs, air-cooled, on-the-ocean event room.)

Thank you for the suggestions, FistFullaRoux, sugarseattle, and jumanggy. It is always so nice to know there's a place I can get back-up from people who share my interests.

Jennifer