• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

how to pick a peach

mcohen

has anybody else read this book yet?

at first, i was rather disappointed with the book. with the title, 'how to pick a peach', i thought the book would be about, you know, how to select and pick out the best possible fruits and vegetables when you go shopping. and, in that regards, i found the book to be frustratingly basic, not going deep enough into what the consumer should look for. for example, with an artichoke, all we were told is that the leaves should squeek. but, i thought this was a missed oppurtunity by not including other pointers and tips about how to select an artichoke- want bigger stem because this means the heart will be larger, etc..

instead, the book is more about the evolution of the food industry and why food is no longer as tasty and juicy as the ones we once savored. this is where the book shines, and i found that information interesting enough even though i never really had any particular interest into that subject.