• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Electronic Wine Lists

jordyn

I ran across an article in Wired News which indicates that Aureole has placed its wine list onto an electronic e-book. This gadget allows customers to search for wine based on a variety of factors, suggests pairings, and contains descriptions of each of the many wines.

This seems like an incredibly useful tool, especially for people (like me) who know comparatively little about wine.

I wonder how the customers are reacting. I can just imagine the restaurant needing to install 24-hour tech support.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

Eventually restaurants will ask for patrons to electronically order so their food will be ready as they enter - just think how that will improve the turnover rate.

Rich Schulhoff

Opinions are like friends, everyone has some but what matters is how you respect them!

The restaurant may have its wine inventory on an electronic system already, so tieing in a remote ordering tablet sounds useful.

No more of, out of this wine, out of that wine, since it won't show up in the listing if it's not in inventory.

Depending on how their database is configured, you might even be able to sort on price, vintage, region, perceived category ("light red" etc), or tonight's food menu for useful pairings.

Apparently it's easier still to dictate the conversation and in effect, kill the conversation.

rancho gordo

I saw a piece on the evening news about this. Looks like it could be very good, or GIGO. The system sounded pretty simple and basically I think it was a way for people who fear wine and stewards to feel like they exercised some discretion in picking their wine. The question is has the restaurant changed its markup since starting the laptop?

I'm hollywood and I approve this message.