• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dole Organic Banana Chips

Fat Guy

I picked up a bad of these at the supermarket last night. They were featured as a new item -- I can't even find them on the Dole website. They are allegedly made from freeze-dried organic Peruvian bananas. They have no ingredients other than bananas. If you eat them straight, they're like weird super-sweet banana-flavored Styrofoam. If you put them in milk with cereal, they plump up and are kind of interesting. I doubt I'll buy another bag, but maybe there's a use for them that I'm not thinking of. Were I a professional pastry chef, I'd surely be experimenting.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)

I supposed you could run them through a food proccesor and use for garnish...

or bake them into bread pudding for a nice texture ...

tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

Based on this picture I found of another brand, it appears that maybe they don't turn brown like fresh bananas do, which would make them great for use in fruit salad, banana cream pie or banana pudding.

SB (likes bananas becasue they have appeal) :rolleyes: (sorry, I can never pass up a chance to use that line) :wacko:

They have no ingredients other than bananas. If you eat them straight, they're like weird super-sweet banana-flavored Styrofoam. If you put them in milk with cereal, they plump up and are kind of interesting.

The texture sounds identical to freeze-dried strawberries. I'm curious about the nutrition facts on the label - without being fried like normal banana chips, they're presumably a lot healthier.

David aka "DCP"

Amateur protein denaturer, Maillard reaction experimenter, & gourmand-at-large

Would be interesting in a salad as a sort of croutony thing. Perhaps in a parchment with some fish - maybe.

I personally sort of like dehydrated banana - but don't seek it out like I would a great piece of beef or something.

I personally sort of like dehydrated banana - but don't seek it out like I would a great piece of beef or something.

No, nothing like a good slab of beef, but still interesting in its own right. There are also the sort of dehydrated bananas that become thin and extremely chewy - another experience to try if you haven't yet.

David aka "DCP"

Amateur protein denaturer, Maillard reaction experimenter, & gourmand-at-large

I would expect the freeze-dried bananas to start self-rehydrating very quickly, and lose the crunchy texture, once they come out of the container.

That has been my experience with freeze dried strawberries, rambutan and mangosteen. The strawberries can get quite limp in a matter of 10-15 minutes. The other two are a bit thicker, and hardier, but still get leathery pretty quick.

"You dont know everything in the world! You just know how to read!" -an ah-hah! moment for 6-yr old Miss O.