• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Dim Sum Go Go

Pan

I can't find (or, really, effectively search for) a topic for this place, so I'm starting my own. I'd like to thank everyone who's recommended this place, including the late Bux, who often spoke of his appreciation for the place, and the folks on Chowhound who've been touting Go Go's dim sum as being in the modern Hong Kong style, which they explain is lower fat compared to the 1980s Hong Kong style that is featured by the big dim sum eating halls in Chinatown. Now that I've tried the place out, I wonder why I waited so long.

I went there for lunch yesterday (Wednesday) with a friend, arriving around 11:50. I think one other table was occupied, but by the time we left around 1:10, the place was busy.

We had the following:

Turnip cakes (fine rendition, with finely minced strips of ham)

Roast pork bun (thin dough, very tasty filling)

Baked egg custard (another very good rendition - the crust was firm and not excessively flaky, and the filling was a lot better than one gets used to in Manhattan)

Rice rolls with shrimp (the long, thick noodle stuffed with shrimp - I found this rendition rather uninteresting, and the sauce tasted like straight soy sauce)

Chicken bun (too doughy, but the filling was tasty)

Chives and shrimp dumplings (very good and clean-tasting)

Duck dumplings (also good)

Jade dumplings (a vegetarian item which included some kind of green bean [edamame?] and I'm forgetting what else [carrot?], but it was nice)

As you can see, we had a substantial meal. The cost was something like $22 and change plus tip.

In general, I would characterize the items we had as well-made from good ingredients and relatively light, especially for dim sum. This is good Cantonese food, and I will surely return to try other items.

Michael aka "Pan"

We go to Dim Sum Go Go every few weeks, usually on Sunday morning. We like the upstairs dining room by the big sunny picture window. While the menu is more limited than the big dim sum palaces, we prefer the less hectic atmosphere, and the delicateness and lightness of the dim sum. We've always had good service as well.

I love their duck dumplings and the shrimp and chives. The pork ones are good too. But my fave that I crave every so often is the stewed veal chop with pepper sauce. I tried to recreate it but to no avail although it seems to be such a simple dish.

The human mouth is called a pie hole. The human being is called a couch potato... They drive the food, they wear the food... That keeps the food hot, that keeps the food cold. That is the altar where they worship the food, that's what they eat when they've eaten too much food, that gets rid of the guilt triggered by eating more food. Food, food, food... Over the Hedge

I was waiting for the inevitable

it's great

it's great

buuuuuuuuuuuuuut it's in Flushing

Which means I'm waiting for the next Mets 1:10PM game, which has been tough since they've had a good team, they're picked up by FOX or ESPN for an 8pm game...

It's not in flushing...it's in Manhattan's Chinatown. Chatham Square.